Cleaning White Substance Off Brick Patio

I have a patio that is made of bricks, now I am getting a white substance on some of these. How can I get rid of it and what is making it that color?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

The ugly, white substance found on brick, cement and sometimes stone is called "Efflorescence". This is a French word meaning "flower out". Efflorescence is an accumulation of salts and minerals that are found on masonry surfaces.

Normally the Efflorescence is caused by water leaking or water forming on the surface. You can apply an impregnating hydrophobic sealant to the bricks to prevent water intrusion. For most bricks it is best to use a silicone based penetrating sealer.

It might be efflorescence. I'd use a high pressure stream of water and a good dense brush to remove it.

I would try a magic eraser

This usually happens to unsealed bricks and will probably keep returning unless you find a way to seal your patio bricks.
This link gives very good, clear instructions and if followed all the way through you may not have to do this very often - if ever. You might like to get one of the scrub brushes with a long handle unless you plan to do this on your knees -(be sure to use a thick knee pad).

http://homeguid … avers-88151.html