Cleaning Wood Blinds

Wood Blinds
There are actually several ways to effectively clean your wood blinds. This is a guide about cleaning wood blinds.

I have white wood blinds above my sink so they get more dirt than a ususal blind. How do I clean them?

Iris from Columbia SC

All Wood blinds should be cleaned with a feather duster. The duster should be made with feathers Not static or have fingers. (Use your duster for blinds only)

You should also maintain your blinds by using clear silicone oil spray inside your headrails. this will keep them working properly for a long time. Great question !!!!! If you have more questions Email or call us website carolinawindowblinds.com

http://www.blindsuk.net/ - Free advice on white wooden blinds

Use a diluted solution of hot water and white vinegar to get the dirt off - it works a treat. Opening the windows for half an hour or so afterwards should remove any remaining smell of vinegar, however as long as you keep the solution weak it shouldn't linger.

http://www.urbaneblinds.co.uk - UK Blinds from UrbaneBlinds.co.uk

You should dust wood blinds regularly and occasionally using warm soapy water wipe them down gently. Be careful not to soak the blind. Once you have removed the dirt wipe them dry to avoid the slats warping.

Just to add to the feedback above, you can also use a blind cleaner which is specially designed to clean blinds quickly and you don't need to go over each blind individually. I've added a picture below, hopefully it will work! www.interiordecordirect.co.uk

I need to know is there an easy way to clean wooden blinds besides cleaning individually using soap and water? I don't want to put them in a tub. You still have to wash each slat. The microfiber blind cleaner only takes the top dust off but really doesn't clean the grime that is still there.

By Shirley

I love reusing athletic socks. Before putting the sock on your hand to do the cleaning, first wrap some of the little bubble wrap around your hand. It will give you more power to get in the "grooves". If not the bubble wrap, use an old shoe brush covered with a layer or two of sock. Shoe brushes are very soft, easy to hold and give you more scrubbing power with less effort. Move the sock around as it gets dirty. I also clean old silver this way; the brush doesn't scratch the silver.

As far as I know there isn't an 'easy' way to clean any kind of venetian blind no matter the material the slats are made from, wood, aluminum, or plastic. But I do know from experience that the bathtub soak and scrub method is the least 'easy' of the ways to clean the window coverings, lol!

I don't like blinds primarily because they are so pesty to clean, I try not to have them, and I managed that while I was divorced and living alone. But wouldn't you know it, I've remarried, and the new hub just loves those blasted things! He has them in every window, and of course, were grimy beyond words when I moved in as the new wife...

So down they came and out to the garden they went, where I hung them from the top rail of the blinds over the pickets on our little garden fence. I hit them with a rinse from the hose, next I used the car wash brush dipped into a full bucket of hot soapy water, then rinsed them with the hose until the soap was gone.

It took a couple of washings to get them really clean, but at least my back wasn't screaming from leaning over the bath!

I need to know how to remove heavy oily smoke from wooden blinds.

Barbara from TX

Ammonia will do the best job. They should be wiped again with just clear water. If you spray a furniture polish on a rag and wipe them when they are cleaned, it will save a lot of work the next time.