Cleaning a Ceiling Fan

With ceiling fans being up high and out of reach, we tend to neglect cleaning them regularly. When we do finally get around to it, the layer of dust can be quite thick. This is a guide about cleaning a ceiling fan.

An easy way to keep ceiling fans clean. Cut the legs off old pantyhose and put one on each blade, stretching them until the whole blade is covered. You'll have extra at the motor end so twist this until it's a tight roll then tuck it back into the "leg". When the pantyhose gets dusty, just remove and wash.

We live on the edge of a gibber desert where it's very dusty so our fans are always dressed in their best. No longer plain white, they look very colourful. They're currently wearing purple and black.

Works well in the city also, where fans pick up city grime.

By Marilyn King from Millstream, Western Australia

The blades and housing on ceiling fans collect a lot of dust when in use and even when not being used. Such high dusting jobs can be messy and difficult to reach. This is a guide about dusting ceiling fans.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have two white ceiling fans in my kitchen and I clean them with Comet liquid but it still doesn't get the grease film off. What can I use to clean them?

By momma Dobson from KS

Answers

I clean everything in kitchen with vinegar. It works, good luck.

I agree with vinegar on most everything, but with grease I would try simple green, then rinse with the vinegar or other such as dawn dish soap to remove the grease residue to prevent the grease buildup. Keeping them dusted in the first place is sure easier than getting the built up grease/dust combination of later. I don't like to dust but would rather do it than clean that sticky greasy buildup from up on a ladder.

Try 'Dawn Power Dissolver' found at Wal-Mart near the dishwashing detergent. If your fans are not made of unfinished wood it should work.

I find that it really does disolve the grease. I prefer to spray it on my cleaning cloth and apply to the surface rather than spray directly on the greasy area, especially on a smaller area.

1/4 Cup Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Vinegar
1 Cup Ammonia

Mix with 1 gallon of very warm water. I double it because I use a bucket with 2 gallons of water. This is great for walls & woodwork too but you should dry wood afterward.

I agree. If we all would just add dusting our blinds and ceiling fans to our dusting routine we could avoid having to clean this items. But like everyone else, I forget and when it gets bad, I find the only thing that works, is Awesome, a cleaner from the dollar store, in the purple bottle.

You can find it other places too, I believe. Oh, and use a microfiber cloth. That keeps it form all falling in your face or on the floor. Those rags hold on to dust or hair until you peel it off. Amazing.

Whichever method you use, I would make sure that I dry the blades thoroughly & don't get them overly wet as they could warp & your fan won't work properly after that.

I like "Greased Lightening". This even removes burned on grease from a broiler pan!

What is the best way to clean a ceiling fan?

Onesummer from Atlanta, GA

Answers

If it is really dirty you may have to get up on a stool to give a thorough cleaning and to wash the light fixture. After you do the initial cleaning then use a swifter duster with the extending arm to maintain it during your weekly cleaning.

Soap and Water on a ladder, my friend. Simple as that!

http://www.frug  ife.blogspot.com

I like to get my vacuum out and clean the blades with the brush attachment. The dirt and dust are sucked up by the vacuum and don't fall on the floor or spread to the rest of the room.

After vacuumed, I then spritz with cleaner and wipe clean.

I washed mine with Pine-Gel diluted in hot water. Kleen Green should also work well. PS: Make sure the electricity is switched off!!

By Barbara in TN (Guest Post)

Slip a pillowcase over each blade, then grasp tightly as you pull the case off. Both sides of the fan blade are dusted at the same time, and the dirt and dust stays inside the pillowcase.

After thoroughly cleaning with soap and water and wiping dry, apply a thin coat of Armor All, you will be surprised on how clean your fans stays

I always clean my fans good (usually with lysol cleaner), then take dryer sheets and wipe them down good. This keeps the "dust bunnies" from sticking!

By cajunangel (Guest Post)

Dollar General sells a circular brush cleaner with long handle for cleaning fans. It's wonderful and very inexpensive. Haven't tried putting any spray cleaner on it but probably could.

don't screw around...remove three Philips screws, and take the fan blade into the sink and apply ammonia; this will cut thru grease caked on like dried syrup

How can I easily clean a ceiling fan?

Answers

Get a long handled feather duster, and that will work well.

I believe the easiest way is with a Microfiber Ceiling Fan Duster. These can be found in many Wal-Mart type stores, Ace Hardware, etc) and cost about $12 to 20 dollars with an extension pole. You can buy in the store or on-line. The duster is shaped so that you can slip it over the blade (start at point closest to the motor) and move along blade outward.

There are several types of these but you will need an extension pole unless you want to use a ladder.
If using a ladder to hand clean, try to use some "dust" product (like Endust) so the dust particles will not go all over the room.
However you decide to do this, I would suggest turning off the switch and placing a piece of tape over the switch plate so fan or light cannot accidentally be turned on. You may also want to consider wearing a mask, especially if you have any allergies.

here is a link that has some suggestions.

http://www.wiki  an-a-Ceiling-Fan

https://www.wal  -Duster/16828264

If you want to avoid climbing a ladder - I would purchase an extendable ceiling fan cleaning tool with a microfiber cloth. They are sold at Home Depot or Walmart.

Try the pillowcase method shown here:

http://www.oneg  n-seconds-2.html