Cleaning a Porcelain Sink

I'm cleaning porcelain sinks that seem to have a touch of soap scum and what looks to be remnants of a sealant around the faucet. The stuff is so hard, I've been using a razor to carefully take off the stuff. Just wondering, when I take it off is the porcelain supposed to shine or am I taking off the protective layer?

BigJess from MN

Answers:

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink

I went to use my canner for making borscht and found it so coated with shale from our water that I poured in straight vinegar. It helped a little then I put the vinegar in the microwave until it boiled. Cleaned that old enamel pot like it was new. I had heard that hot vinegar is a miracle cleaner. In this case it was. I'm sure it will lift the stuff around the taps. Bleach could dull the finish. (02/17/2009)

By Siris

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink

Try vinegar or CLR. Don't use any of these things in combination though. Something that has been suggested should work for you. (02/21/2009)

By Louise B.