Cleaning a Porcelain Sink

Category Bathroom
Porcelain sinks are common in bathrooms and older kitchens. With regular care and cleaning, they can look great for years. This is a guide about cleaning a porcelain sink.

I have a alabaster porcelain sink. I really don't know what happened, but there is a white ring mark in the sink. I can't get it out. I'm thinking someone put a pan that was too hot in the sink. How can I remove this white ring?

By celeste from Waterbury, CT

Answers

Have you tried baking soda?It should work, good luck.

How do I keep my porcelain sink white without using bleach or harsh chemicals?

By Diane Abbruzzese from Littleton, CO

Answers:

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink

I would try a non scratch scrub pad available in super market. 3M makes several types and scrub with a soap of your choice. (09/20/2009)

By Deanj

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink

Use Whiting, it is a super-fine powder for polishing glass items such a porcelain, mirrors, appliances, etc. It is available in good paint stores (used as a paint thickener). Wipe sink down with sudsy all-cotton terry cloth; sprinkle whiting and then wipe clean (polish is more like it). There's no law against waxing the sink or placing a rubber mat in bottom to protect against scratches or nicks from pans.

By Cajun

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink

I live in an area with hard water and my sinks and toilet bowls become yellowed without regular care. I use Polident denture cleaner for my sinks and toilet bowls. Two tablets does the trick. I let the cleaner and water sit overnight and by morning, all is bright white again. (10/20/2009)

By Wilhelmina

I'm cleaning porcelain sinks that seem to have a touch of soap scum and what looks to be remnants of a sealant around the faucet. The stuff is so hard, I've been using a razor to carefully take off the stuff. Just wondering, when I take it off is the porcelain supposed to shine or am I taking off the protective layer?

BigJess from MN

Answers:

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink

I went to use my canner for making borscht and found it so coated with shale from our water that I poured in straight vinegar. It helped a little then I put the vinegar in the microwave until it boiled. Cleaned that old enamel pot like it was new. I had heard that hot vinegar is a miracle cleaner. In this case it was. I'm sure it will lift the stuff around the taps. Bleach could dull the finish. (02/17/2009)

By Siris

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink

Try vinegar or CLR. Don't use any of these things in combination though. Something that has been suggested should work for you. (02/21/2009)

By Louise B.

What is the best thing to clean a porcelain sink with?

Bill from New Jersey

Answers:

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink?

Scrub out sink as usual then fill to the very tip top with HOT (boil some in a pot if necessary) water and 1 cup of bleach. Let sit 1 hour, drain and rub dry with clean cloth =) If you have small children, you should do this when they are asleep or not at home for safety reasons. (01/05/2009)

By Nicki

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink?

Use baking soda, and then scrub it out. (01/07/2009)

By michaela

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink?

I use bleach on mine and it works beautifully. It takes out the stains and it looks like new, so I have to agree with Nicki with the use of bleach.

(01/08/2009)

By Kathy

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink?

I use Comet and a scouring pad. (01/08/2009)

By Ann

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink?

You can use Bar Keeper's Friend (I found it at Walmart), or you can use denture cleaning tablets. I do happen to wear dentures, so I have some on hand. I do keep an extra box of polident for smokers in my kitchen for cleaning stains in the sink, as well as cleaning out my coffee pot! (01/09/2009)

By Michael

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink?

I use Oxy-Clean (the stuff that guy "Billy" screams at you about on TV). Just sprinkle a little into the sink and rub it all over the sink down to the bottom. Leave a few minutes or hours even, and then rinse off. Sparkling clean! I use baking soda for all other cleaning. (01/09/2009)

By Linda

Cleaning a Porcelain Sink?

I mix equal parts of water, 70% alcohol and non-sudsy ammonia in a spray and clean everything with it. Smells clean when done. (01/12/2009)

By mklema92658