Cleaning a Top Load Washing Machine

I am wondering if anyone knows of a substitute for the laundry washer cleaner, Affree? I have a top loading, water-saver Maytag. It recommends Affree in the booklet and has a setting on the washer. The washer should be cleaned when light shows that the machine needs it. I do use vinegar for a water softener. Please advise. Affree is $8.00 for a rather small size bottle.

I have a top loader too and the manufacturer's guide said to use the expensive cleaner OR one cup of liquid bleach in the dispenser. I use bleach instead and I leave the lid up when I'm not using it. My washer never smells bad.