Clematis Not Blooming

Category Perennials
Clematis
You chose your clematis for its showy flowers, so it is at the very least disappointing when it fails to bloom. This is a guide about clematis not blooming.

Question:

How long before clematis starts blooming? I planted from a gallon container.

Mike from Mercier, Qc.,Canada

Answer:

Hi Mike,

Clematis can take a year or two to bloom after first being planted, and will require at least several more years before reaching full maturity. A lot depends on the age and health of the plant you purchased, the growing conditions you provide for it, and how fast it's able to establish roots after being planted. As the old adage goes, the first year perennials sleep, the second they creep, the third they leap. It sounds a bit corny, but it's true!

Expect your clematis to need a minimum of one to two seasons of "settling in" before you see blooms. During the first year (while it "sleeps"), the plant will direct the majority of its energy into establishing a strong root system. A good root system is critical for a vigorous vine, so be sure to fertilize and water your clematis regularly (try a 5-10-10 fertilizer) This will create a good foundation for years of beautiful blooms, and before you know it, your new clematis will reward you with years of prolific blooms.

Try these links for more information on growing clematis:

Good luck!

Ellen

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Different kinds bloom at different times. What kind is yours?

My clematis (2nd year) had a beautiful show in Spring and now it has greenish
starburst things that I thought were going to bloom, but they are not. The plant looks healthy, but is not blooming, why?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Clematis do have a beautiful show once per season. I don't know of any that are repeat bloomers, although some may have a few intermittent blooms later in the season. Also, by pruning the plant after the initial show, you may force the plant into another, smaller display of blooms.

Those 'starburst things' are not bloom buds, they are seed pods. That's why they're not blooming.

I've had this clematis for eight years and it has always grown and flowered beautifully every year, but this year it has grown very tall and has loads of beautiful leaves, but is not budding. I fertilized it the beginning of spring. What is happening to it?

By Peggy C

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Maybe your clematis has enjoyed the fertilizer too much and will produce only foliage this year. You should use rose-tree fertilizer before spring and after summer. To help your clematis produce more flowers next year just prune it.

Pruning time depends on the type of clematis. Varieties with small flowers blooming in winter and spring (cirrhosa, armandii, alpina and macropetala) will be pruned after flowering. For others, prune late winter cutting back one or two older branches to 30-40 cm. It should keep your clematis vigorous and floriferous.

Clematis armandii and montana can be pruned every two to four years by cutting all its branches at 40 cm from the ground just after flowering. I know it feels hard to cut back a beautiful clematis but it really helps the plant. I have a 3 years old Clematis Armandii. It had only 2 branches and nearly died this winter after spending a whole week covered with snow just when it had started flowering. Its bigger branch was broken accidently and in one week its started 2 new branches from its foot so that this accidental pruning has made it produce more branches in one week than it did in 3 years and the general shape of the plant will be much nicer too!

Hope this helps! Catherine

Why didn't my clematis bloom?

Sandy from Milwaukee, WI

I had one in place when we bought this house; and while it may have been in the sun when it was planted, it was now shaded. I moved it to full sun, and a rabbit promptly bit it off to the ground, so I figured it was done for! But it came back, bigger and better than ever, and the full sun did the trick--blooms like a champ! Be sure it gets lots and lots of sun.

I used flat rocks/tiles "tented" over the bottom of the plant to keep the roots cool and lots and lots of blooms were the result. Warm head and cold feet!

My clematis grows very well. It use to have all kinds of blooms, but in the last couple of years it has had none.

By Bev F

How old is it? A lot of plants have a 'shelf life'. Like humans and every other living thing, they have a life span-your clematis might be at the end of its. Although they have a long life span, you may have got your plant when it was at a middle-aged point.

But it could be something else, too. This is a good article about clematis, hope it helps you figure out what is going on with yours:

http://www.proj  09J.154d492.html

I have had this clematis bush for over 3 years and it always flowers lovely pinkish flowers. This year none have appeared even though I looked after it as before. The only difference was I put teabags over the soil for my rose bush which is situated next to clematis. Did I do wrong?

By Gerry

A clematis that has been planted now for 6 years and grows incredible vines, still hasn't bloomed. Would appreciate you gardening expertise.

Donna Marie

Answers:

Clematis Won't Bloom

Plant food usually works. Start feeding it Miracle-Gro at the start of spring. I have done this with other flowers, such as peonies, and it works! Sometimes the plant is not getting the nutrition that it needs. (03/13/2005)

By SueBee

Clematis Won't Bloom

There are several varieties of clematis.
I had a clematis for 18 yrs but it liked to be dormant for a few months in winter to get bigger and create more blossoms. I kept it slightly moist and put it in darkness(a closet) or just covered no light. Important keep soil loose. Use a fork to lossen any soil. Plants love it. Of course you need to feed it when you wake it up. Anything made by Scott's, which is miracle gro, ortho products, osmacote which is slow release and feed for several months is fine.
Good luck!
Dee (03/13/2005)

By DEE

Clematis Won't Bloom

It may not be getting as much sun as it likes - they love cool roots but hot tops. You obviously are giving it cool roots since it's putting out good growth, so check the light factor. (03/13/2005)

By tedsmom

Clematis Won't Bloom

Hi Donna,
No worries we will help you get that Clematis blooming.

First: Clematis like their roots moist, well fed, and luxuriating in soil in a near neutral PH.

As we are approaching Spring, I reccomend Clematis Chow: Mix in a wheelbarrow---5 gallons of well cured horse or cow manure, 1/2 cup lime, and 1/2 cup bonemeal. Spread this mixture over the root zone of your clematis first thing in the springtime. Then add a rich mulch or compost over the soil to keep it cool and moist. Happy blooms.
(03/13/2005)

By sabrina_ca

Clematis Won't Bloom

I am not an expert gardener but you might want to pinch or cut back some growth so that some of the nutriants go into putting out flowers and not all leaves and vine. (03/19/2005)

By toni k.

Clematis Won't Bloom

1. Sunlight is important. There are only a few varieties of clematis that will bloom in the shade.

2. Are you sure you have a clematis? Sometimes a well meaning friend will share a sprout from their garden but will call it by the wrong name. (04/14/2005)

By porphuropolis