Clothespin Alternatives

Today I ran out of clothespins as I was hanging my laundry out to dry. We recently purchased a house, and the previous owners left behind, among other things, a lifetime supply of coat hangers in the closets. I looked through them for the kind with clips to use as clothespins. Some of the clips were removable, so I removed those and they worked really well as clothespins, but that STILL wasn't enough.

So then I tried clipping the clothes to the clothesline using the hangars with non-removable clips, and that worked great, too.

I know clothespins aren't that expensive, but I figure it is better to find a new use for something you already have than to buy something new.

Allison in TN

By Paula W (Guest Post)

Good tip. Allison. Like you, I also find coathangers to be very useful in hanging laundry. The coathangers can be secured to the clothesline with one clothespin (if needed for windy days or to keep coathangers seperated), and so many things like underwear, elasticized athletic pants, and shirts can just be hung directly on the coathangers. This provides a lot of "sideways" space to the clothesline and also uses a lot less clothespins. With the pants just fit the waistband up around the "shoulders" of the coathangers.

By (Guest Post)

You sound like a recycler. There is a site called Freecycle that people give things away free or they ask for things they want. The idea is to keep things out of our landfills, recycle, and help those in need. In case you're interested, here is the link to the main home page and from there you can do a search by region to find those local to you.

http://www.freecycle.org

Susan in Oregon