Cold Sandwich Recipes

Whether for a school or work lunch, or as an alternative to a burger on a warm day, cold sandwiches can be creative and delicious. This page contains cold sandwich recipes.

One of my favorite summertime lunches is a juicy tomato sandwich. I remember when I was growing up in the 50's, in the summertime someone would bring tomato sandwiches to the covered dish dinners at church. The tomato sandwiches were the first sandwiches to disappear.

I don't know if tomato sandwiches are a southern thing or not but they sure are good, especially when made with a home grown tomato.

• 2 slices bread
  • Dukes Mayonaise
  • home grown or a nice store bought juicy tomato
  • salt & pepper
  • crisp lettuce (optional)
  • slice of crisp bacon (optional)

1. Spread mayonnaise on both pieces of bread. Add sliced tomato.
  2. Add salt and pepper to tomato.
  3. Ad

4. Top with some crisp lettuce and bacon or slice of ham, if desired.
  5. Enjoy!

These are excellent cold sandwiches on these hot days!

• 1/2 cup chopped, pared apples, preferably Golden Delicious
  • 2 cups cooked boned chicken or turkey, cubed
  • Ad

• 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • 1/4 cup Miracle Whip
  • 3 Tbsp. French dressing
  • 16 slices buttered bread (not rye)

Directions:

Combine all ingredients except bread, and toss. Chill at least one hour. Spread between slices of bread.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 0 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Does anyone have a recipe for cream cheese sandwiches? My husband takes his lunch to work, but deli meat is getting expensive. Also, I thought it would be nice for him to have something other than ham and cheese every week.

Thanks.

Lisa from Concord, NH

Answers

By Marna (Guest Post)

Cream cheese and chopped green olives is great as is cream cheese and jelly. But if you like ham or roast beef, cook them on the weekend and use leftovers for sandwiches -- much, much cheaper than deli meats and better, I think. I make ham salad with leftover ham steak and chicken salad with leftover roasted chicken.

(A really easy way to "roast" a chicken is to put the whole washed chicken in a dry crockpot. Add nothing. Just let it cook and you have great cooked chicken meat for recipes.)

I have hens so we have egg salad which is very economical as is something yummy like peanut butter and sliced bananas. There's also tuna but only when it's on sale :)

By Marna (Guest Post)

I forgot: Salami and cream cheese is really tasty! You can also roll cream cheese up into cones of salami for an easy appetizer that everyone seems to love.

I like cream cheese on whole wheat bread with just about anything! Drain and stir in a small can of chopped olives, then spread on the bread. Spread softened cream cheese on bread, then top with sliced, peeled cucumbers and an optional sprinkle of salt.

Put the top slice on. Cream cheese is fabulous with strawberry jam! You could also try green olives mixed in the cream cheese, sliced fruit such as bananas or grapes, honey and nuts, onion soup mix or vegetable soup mix. Peanut butter on one slice of bread and cream cheese on the other. Have fun!

By mary (Guest Post)

Cream cheese and olive is a CLASSIC sandwich. Can be a tea sandwich (with crusts cut off), but for a satisfying lunch, use a variety of breads. I use the green olives (stuffed with pimentos) sliced. Mmmm. A favorite!

This is not cream cheese, but- -how about a scrambled egg sandwich? Just beat the egg (in a bowl or cup, as you would for a scrambled egg. Put it into the skillet and do not sitr it. when it is cooked on one side just flip it and cook on second side. Put onto bread slice, folding edges in to fit and place 2nd slice of bread on top. (Use a little mayo, or salad dressing on bread if desired.) This is a favorite sandwich with my whole family.

Oh, I forgot to mention another favorite. When you make a meatloaf, be sure to make extra (hide some before serving if necessary to save it). Slice the cold meatloaf the thickness for a sandwich, use a little mayo, or sandwich spread of choosing.

I always make at least double meatloaf, as it freezes beautifully. I can either warm it for a full meal or use it to make sandwiches.

By Shirley (Guest Post)

I mix 8 oz. package cream cheese, drained 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, and few chopped pecans.

By Robin (Guest Post)

Mama used to make these and they were good. Let cream cheese get to room temp. Add some grated cucumber and mayo and spread on bread. Also used to cut up marachino cherries, little granulated sugar and mayo to use as a spread also. It may not sound good but it is! LOL

By no name today (Guest Post)

Hi,
I'm another person who loves green olives and cream cheese. But I really like it on rye bread with the caraway seeds in it.
X Hubby took vienna sausage sandwiches, and Spam sandwiches.
How about a whole tomato packed with bread with miracle whip on it. Enclose a knife to cut the tomato fresh?
Things depend on how hot the area the food is kept. How about a bagged salad with ingredients bagged separately? Tomato, cucumber, onion, croutons, and dressing? Your choice. Sandwich zip bags could help. No mess for a treat.
The cream cheese and pineapple sounds good. I might use pineapple preserves, or orange marmalade, or strawberry? Use any flavor on the dairy shelf in those little jars or 8 oz tubs.
Good luck

By Linda (Guest Post)

Chopped Olives and Chopped Nuts in Cream Cheese makes a great grilled in butter sandwich.

I just saw this on TV. Mix cream cheese with a little dry Italian salad dressing mix. Spread on bread, top with cucumber slices and a sprinkling of dill weed. Can also skip the bread and just eat the spread on the cucumber slices.

I love tomato sandwiches. I just spread mayo on bread (Hellman's tastes best) and put a thick slice of tomato on it. You can add a slice of cheese if you like. YUM. For packed lunches, I'd slice and pack the tomato separately so the bread doesn't get soggy.

When I was in school, I'd take meat slices (leftover roast works great) with crackers and cheese. It was a nice change from sandwiches. I also give my husband unpeeled cucumber spears (from garden) with a small container of ranch dip. The high water content made it an appreciated treat in the hot weather.

Just make sure he's getting enough protein with lunch! Needs 20 grams or more per meal.