Tomato Sandwich

One of my favorite summertime lunches is a juicy tomato sandwich. I remember when I was growing up in the 50's, in the summertime someone would bring tomato sandwiches to the covered dish dinners at church. The tomato sandwiches were the first sandwiches to disappear.

I don't know if tomato sandwiches are a southern thing or not but they sure are good, especially when made with a home grown tomato.

1. Spread mayonnaise on both pieces of bread. Add sliced tomato.
  2. Add salt and pepper to tomato.
  3. Top with some crisp lettuce and bacon or slice of ham, if desired.
  4. Enjoy!

BLTs are my absolute favourite, especially when I use my hubby's garden tomatoes! Yours looks (and sounds) refreshing :)

littergitter,

Oh YES, the famous tomato sandwich. Yumeeee

I've got to tell you this, the "moment" I read your post here this morn, there was no hesitation on my part, :) I "had to" get up
and go into the kitchen and make myself a mayo and tomato
with salt and pepper sandwich, and it was like "right now", I had to have it, because I'd forgotten about these, (thank you) for reminding me about them, and I'd not had one in years, and the moment I saw yours, oh...I just HAD to eat one! Oh my, they're too good.

My mom use to say that tomato sandwiches were a back east sandwich, she was from PA, and always said the tomatoes grew best in PA when she grew up, but, I do believe that's a matter of opinion.

I'd think where ever one can get great tomatoes, is possibly where they originated from, but, I sure don't know. It's just that great tomatoes on a sandwich like this, are so yummy, they're irresistible, which is why even though I don't have great home grown tomatoes, I still had to eat this for breakfast this morn
"just because it's so darn delicious".

Thank you again for ringing that bell.

I forgot to say that before I took that pic of my "breakfast" - after seeing your sandwich posted here, this morn, I'd gobbled down the other half already, which took about a second, haha

Thank you again littergitter!

I grew up in Seattle and we would eat homegrown tomato sandwiches, just with mayo. So delicious, it didn't need anything else. Can't wait for my tomatoes to ripen so I can have one this summer. :)

I have tons of tomatoes coming. I will be making these for sure

It just does not get any better than this!
Well - my brother would probably add; please add a slice of that sweet Vidalia onion! Of course, he loved just an onion sandwich when no tomatoes were around.

No matter; simple things can still be the best.
Thanks for posting and reminding us about what a delicious sandwich this can be.
Betty

This is everyone's favorite. I hope your entry wins. I'll share my version with you when my tomatoes ripen. (yeah, I'm running late, I know).