LegalBusiness and Legal

Collecting Back Child Support If Custodial Parent Dies

I am 26 years old. My mother has stage 4 terminal cancer. My father owes over 18k in back child support. He currently pays monthly, but in the event that something happens to my mom, is there anything I can do so he does not get away scot-free with this child support? Can I take it over? What are my options?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

July 14, 20190 found this helpful

Very sorry to hear of your mother's illness.
It is sad but back support money is owed to the parent, not to the children.
Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances so I would suggest you talk with an attorney that specializes in family law.

When making an appointment be sure the first consultation is free.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 14, 20190 found this helpful

I would consult an attorney. Use Legal Aid if cost is an issue.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
July 15, 20190 found this helpful

Firstly, I am so very sorry to hear that your family is going through all of this :(
Definitely talk to a lawyer, and if your workplace offers an EAP Employee Assistance Program, check into that avenue as you could be allowed up to 3 free legal aid sessions per issue you need to discuss with them. I wish you the best of luck

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Business and Legal LegalJuly 14, 2019
Back to School Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/15 14:11:51 in 872 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!