Collecting Back Child Support from a Deceased Parent

My daughter's father is just passed owing her 19, 000 in back child support. What can I do? He owes 19,000 in arrears. He was married with 2 other children that he took care of. I was wondering what I can do to collect the owed arrears. I have applied for Survivor benefits. But that measly 1,400 has to be split 4 ways. Is there any way to make her's more since he owes so much?


Thanks in advance,

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

October 25, 20170 found this helpful
Best Answer

This is a hard situation:

Normally survivor benefits are based on your his work history and how much he has made.

This will also depend on if he has other children or not and if they are eligible for part of his survivor benefits.

If he was married again and has left any legal documents for his affairs you might be entitled to some of this.

You would have to file a claim against his property and let a judge decide if you can receive any part of the property or not.
Basically, all you can do is contact an attorney or seek help from Legal Aid.

I feel for you and the pain you are feeling now. My daughter's father never once paid child support and he owed me for 17 years. I wish you luck and hope you can recover a small sum of money to help your daughter.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 18, 20180 found this helpful

Thanks he passed and left millions.I do not know how to obtain back child support because paternity was never established.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 25, 20170 found this helpful

Back child support.

Step 1
No you cannot make her share more of the SSI because the other kid's are entitled to their share.


Step 2
Did he have a will?

Step 3
Does he own anything because his debts have to be paid first so you would put a claim in.

Step 4
You would need a lawyer to act on your behalf do not wait they would distribute it without paying you if you do not.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 26, 20170 found this helpful

Call your state attorney generals office.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 25, 20170 found this helpful

I would contact the Legal Aid Society. It's free. If he has an estate, it will be divided equitably amongst his heirs.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal LegalOctober 25, 2017
Back to School Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/10 16:32:54 in 851 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!