Coloring Book and Watercolor Paper Plate Craft
This little project is a simple way to trace a coloring page onto a paper plate, and outline the picture with glue. After the picture is outlined with glue, it is painted with water colors. After it is dry, it is cut out and placed where all can admire.
As a plus, the picture appears magically on a piece of paper when the side of a crayon is rubbed over the paper, due to the glue having hardened into an outline of the picture. So there is actually a second craft possibility with this process.
Total Time: 30 minutes plus glue drying time
Yield: 1 picture
- 1 coloring book with desired pictures
- 1 paper plate
- 1 Permanent Black Marker very dark black marker
- 1 Bottle Elmer's glue
- 1 water color set (the cheap kind for a dollar)
- 1 scissors
- 1 hole puncher
- 1 string
- 1 nearby light source
- Find desired page to trace in coloring book, trace the picture until it completely outlined with the black marker.
- Put coloring book page behind paper plate, and trace the image. I hold mine up to the light with one hand and trace with a pen. After I am happy with the way I traced the picture, I go over it with the black marker.
- Outline the picture on the paper plate with Elmer's glue.
- Paint the picture on the plate with watercolor paint. The glue doesn't have to be dry at this point. I painted mine a minute after I put the glue on the outline. It doesn't matter if you get glue on the water color, since it turns clear when it dries.
- Let the plate dry. It might take a few hour or more depending on the humidity of the air.
- Cut around the picture with scissiors, leaving room to punch a hole in the top of the picture.
- Use your hole puncher to make a hole in picture about 1.2 - 1 inch down. This will be used to put string through to hang up the picture.
- Tie a string through the hole, so the picture can be placed in a location where everyone can admire your creativity!
- Hang your pretty painted picture somewhere where everyone who passes by can see the beautiful painted picture.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.