Converting All Purpose Flour into Cake Flour

contest winner icon
How to make cake flour? All the years I have been baking, I never knew there was a conversion to turning all purpose flour into cake flour!

I went to make a recipe the other day and it called for cake flour. I said, oh darn, I don't have any cake flour in the house. I went to my computer and "Googled it"

All purpose Flour into Cake Flour is 2 cups of all purpose flour - take two level tablespoons of flour out of it. Add two level tablespoons of cornstarch.

That's it! How easy is that?

I have been buying cake flour all these years or just not making recipes because they call for cake flour. Too easy!

Wonderful tip. I will be using this from now on.

Great, glad I could help!! Enjoy your baking over the holidays! :)

Best tip ever!!!!

Anonymous

Thank you so much!

Cake flour is different than all purpose flour:
*Cake flour has less protein (7.5-9%) and all purpose flour has a higher protein count (12%). The lower protein count results in a softer and more tender cake.

*Cake flour is milled to a finer grain, is whiter than all purpose flour and produces a softer texture for cakes and pastries.

Most professional bakers do not use all purpose flour; they prefer to match the flour to the intended baking product-bread flour (high protein/gluten count) for breads, cake flour for cakes and pastry flour (slightly higher protein count than cake flour) for biscuits, muffins etc.

If you are out of cake flour and use all purpose flour and corn starch or even arrow root, this substitute helps to reduce the gluten development for a somewhat more tender cake.