Corkscrew Vine Bloom Time

I've gotten some private messages asking for further information on the corkscrew vine (Vigna Caracalla). I'm making this post so all who are interested can share this information.

The Vigna blooms rather late in the season when grown in the U.S. This is understandable as the US is much farther north than the plant's native tropical habitat. For this reason, I overwintered a plant indoors, rather than starting a new plant from seed in the spring. My purpose was to see if starting with an established plant in the spring would give me blooms earlier than when starting from seed.

My findings: The established plant produced blooms no earlier in the season than when starting from seed. As of September 19, I'm seeing my first beginnings of a bloom. I am in zone 7b. Plants grown further south may produce blooms a bit earlier, and plants grown further north may bloom a bit later.

I don't think the length of growing time is the only factor here. I'm sure the amount of daylight hours and the incremental shortening of those hours, along with other factors, all play a part in when the plant blooms.

The blooms of the Vigna Caracalla are so beautiful and so unique, most people find the rather long wait to be well worth it.

Unusual plant and I have not seen this in Florida but sure looks interesting.

Well, apparently you missed this post.

https://www.thr  -Are-Coming.html

You should be able to grow them better than I do here.

You are right - I did miss that but i am going to check this out soon - I love the color and I love vines.

You see, It's like this, I will not pay $12 for 5 seeds, again. If the plants I overwinter inside should die, I wont grow them, anymore.

Now you being in a warmer climate, can grow these outside for a longer period of time. That means the ones you grow will be more likely to produce seed. Then you could send me seed should I need any.

I guess that's the way it is because it was meant to be that way.

~~~

Remember Gracie Allen? At a Spring cookout, a neighbor mentioned that the days were getting longer. Gracie replied, 'Yes, I've noticed. Now, it stays daylight almost til dark'.

Oh interesting, I've not seen them either!

What is going on? I have posted 5 articles on this vine. I have posted so many pictures of the vine and so many pictures of its flowers, I was afraid the editorial staff would start ignoring my submissions. And now it's as if.........

(All em air teensy little dots means I kant thank uh nothin' else ta say. (that shore ain't like thuh doug i know)).

Nine days after the above picture was taken, there is a big difference in that bloom. You can see the difference here:

https://www.you  feature=youtu.be

Swinging in the breeze!
Still have not found a plant in my area of Florida but I might have to order seeds. Ag agent says he has no idea why we do not see this vine and he is helping me look for a plant but it is late in the season.
I will have this vine next year for sure and hopefully have seeds for everyone interested - we'll see.

Only rarely will you find plants available. It will be best if you order seeds and start them in the spring.

Don't get your hopes up too high. Most of these plants never set seed. Sometimes a plant will produce an abundance of seed. I have been researching for quite some time to find out why this is true.

I am looking for seeds from companies for next spring but I was hoping I could find a plant locally just to be sure of having one. I have placed an ad on Craigslist and Freecycle (for trade or cash) but nothing yet - still hoping.