CornbreadBreads

Corn Toaster Cakes

This is a real NY and surrounding area treat that is hard to find nowadays. It costs about $4 for each pack of 4 when you can find them. This recipe makes 12 for a fraction of the price. The muffin top pans can be used for many other things, and will pay for themselves very quickly, as these breakfast cakes are delicious, and you will be making them often!

Some people toast them. They are the perfect size for a 2 or 4-slice toaster. I microwave them for a few seconds, or eat them at room temperature. Enjoy with butter, jam or as is.

These can be frozen if cooled completely and wrapped well with wax or parchment paper separating the cakes.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10-12 minutes

Total Time: 20-22 minutes

Yield: 12 cakes

Source: Facebook cooking group

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Grease the insides of muffin top pans.
  3. In small bowl combine dry ingredients and set aside.
  4. In a larger bowl combine milk with honey to dissolve.
  5. Add in egg and melted shortening. Stir in dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  6. Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter into each well of the pan. Smooth tops slightly.
  7. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the outer edge of cakes are a dark golden brown.
  8. Remove from pan and let cool slightly on wire racks.
  9. Ad

Thank you for the recipe! I love these, and you are correct; they can be difficult to find. There was a bakery in Cleveland called Hough Bakery that always had them but they closed long ago.

Glad you can use it. I was happy to find it, too!

I used to order these at IHOP back in 70's.
Also love your canister I have same one same color

When I was a child, living in Westchester County in NY, we would have those corn muffins from time to time and I loved them. They were especially good spread with butter, then grilled with the butter side down in the skillet until toasted and served with jam or jelly.

Question: where would I find that special pan to bake them in? A regular muffin pan wouldnt work?

You could use a square pan and cut if you want. I got the pans off amazon. They are not expensive and I will make them frequently.