Corn Toaster Cakes

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

cooling Corn Toaster Cakes on wire rackThis is a real NY and surrounding area treat that is hard to find nowadays. It costs about $4 for each pack of 4 when you can find them. This recipe makes 12 for a fraction of the price. The muffin top pans can be used for many other things, and will pay for themselves very quickly, as these breakfast cakes are delicious, and you will be making them often!

Some people toast them. They are the perfect size for a 2 or 4-slice toaster. I microwave them for a few seconds, or eat them at room temperature. Enjoy with butter, jam or as is.

These can be frozen if cooled completely and wrapped well with wax or parchment paper separating the cakes.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10-12 minutes

Total Time: 20-22 minutes

Yield: 12 cakes

Source: Facebook cooking group

ingredients

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Grease the insides of muffin top pans.
  3. In small bowl combine dry ingredients and set aside.
  4. mixing dry ingredients

5. In a larger bowl combine milk with honey to dissolve.
  6. milk in bowl

7. Add in egg and melted shortening. Stir in dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
  8. mixing egg in bowl

9. Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter into each well of the pan. Smooth tops slightly.
  10. batter in muffin top pan

11. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the outer edge of cakes are a dark golden brown.
  12. baked corn toaster cakes

13. Remove from pan and let cool slightly on wire racks.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 207 Feedbacks

Thank you for the recipe! I love these, and you are correct; they can be difficult to find. There was a bakery in Cleveland called Hough Bakery that always had them but they closed long ago.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

Glad you can use it. I was happy to find it, too!

I loved these from the Hough Bakeries; after I went to college, my mother would buy them and bring them to me when she visited!

I used to order these at IHOP back in 70's.
Also love your canister I have same one same color

Ahhhh yes, the Tupperware canister! I have a few... sold Tupperware doing 'parties' many many moons ago.

Great canisters! And as for this recipe... I LOVE it!! Have 2 left in the freezer. Time to make another batch!

When I was a child, living in Westchester County in NY, we would have those corn muffins from time to time and I loved them. They were especially good spread with butter, then grilled with the butter side down in the skillet until toasted and served with jam or jelly. Question: where would I find that special pan to bake them in? A regular muffin pan wouldnt work?

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

You could use a square pan and cut if you want. I got the pans off amazon. They are not expensive and I will make them frequently.

Target online has it, and Amazon. It's called an English muffin pan

Bed Bath and Beyond in store or this one from them online, which I preferred, Wilton® Perfect Results Non-Stick Muffin Top Pan for $12 www.bedbathandbeyond.com/.../5041476?skuId=64216089

Amazon would have a selection as well.

King Arthur Flour has them.

I just ordered one from Amazon and its called a Muffin Top Pan.

Anonymous

Would you have to put sugar in them? I grew up eating corn bread and corn muffins without any sugar added so I was just curious if it could be left out of the .ix?

Does anyone know where to buy toaster bran muffins?

I know I've commented on here before. I love, love, love these corn toaster cakes. They are a staple here. I just thought I'd add one thing about wrapping and freezing. Another way to freeze them, which I do, is to place a grate over a cookie sheet, take the toaster cakes out of the oven and place them all out on that, and then put the whole thing in the freezer.

Once frozen, I put them all in a zip baggie and back in the freezer... no wrapping necessary

Nutritional value?

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 267 Posts

We don't have any way to calculate nutritional content on our site. You could probably use this one from My Fitness Pal to calculate it.

www.myfitnesspal.com/.../calculator

Feel free to post what you find out to help a future reader with the same question.

Is there a calorie count on the muffins?

This recipe looks intriguing! I bought a the pan off Amazon to make this.
Question: could you sub butter for the shortening?

I'm sure you could substitute it. Butter should be the same amount as shortening. If you try it, please let us know how it turns out.

I would use oil instead of shortening.

Perfect recipe.

Tried these for the first time today and they came out delicious! Hubby says dont lose this recipe, its a keeper!

did you use a special pan or what ever you already had?

Can any muffin (without topping) recipe work? I bought some blueberry toaster cakes at my store and want to try making them. Have you tried other muffin recipes?

I bet it would. You would just need to practice with the baking time as it might be different. Be sure to tell us how they turn out.

They should. Just take your regular blueberry muffin recipe and maybe reduce the amount because regular muffins are larger. Use the same temperature and bake for maybe 10 - 12 minutes.

These are better than any store bought toaster muffins. Made them at least 10x in the last two months!

In the early 1980s Howard Johnsons used to make Corn Toasties that were sold in the freezer section. They were great, toasted in the toaster. My Mom, Grandmother and I loved them. There not made anymore, so I hope these in my just ordered pan will come close.

I just made these and there is too much milk, the batter ended up being too liquid. Next time Ill try 1/2 cup milk and go from there. You can always add more, but you cant take it out!

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads CornbreadJune 27, 2018
🎂
🎃
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Corn-Toaster-Cakes.html