Polymer Clay Crafts

Category Other
Polymer clay, or Fimo, is a very creative crafting medium for children and adults alike.This is a page about polymer clay crafts.

I use a lot of different colors of polymer clay in my jewelry-making, which inevitably means that I end up after a bit of time with otherwise, inadequate scraps in every color. Don't throw out those pieces! Ball them together and make this charming octopus fellow.

Clay Octopus

If you're looking for some novel craft ideas to help celebrate St. Patrick's Day, why not try making your own polymer clay buttons.

Marbled green and gold clay button.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

You can use your self-cleaning oven as a kiln. Not as hot as a real kiln, so it probably would not work for serious potters, but great for firing clay beads and other small clay items. Run creations through 2 cleaning cycles, then paint with acrylic paints. Fun! By Mary

If you work with polymer clay and use molds, you know you usually have to cut around the molded clay to get a clean edge. If you put the project in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before you cut, the clay will be much less likely to stretch or tear.

What is a good glue for crafting with clay?

By shelby from MN

Answers

Believe it or not this website is devoted to glue: www.craftster.org/.../?p=44

You put in what you are glueing to whatever else and it tells you the glue to use! Robyn

What sort of clay? Pottery clay? If that is what you are talking about, there is a "glue" you get at the pottery supply store or ceramics store called Patch-attach (or something very similar). It can be used to "glue" raw pottery or ceramics (greenware) or bisque pieces. It is quite satisfactory. No actual glue will work on pieces that go into the kiln, as all will burn off in the high temps.

If you are not refiring pieces, and you are talking about pieces that have been fired once (bisque) than any glue that is made for china will work. Most epoxy glues are fine, or hot glue will work.

It depends on the sort of piece you have. I would use epoxy for more delicate pieces or cup handles. Hot glue is fine for kids pieces.

If the piece is raw clay, and you are not going to fire it in a kiln, there is nothing really satisfactory that will work. Raw clay will go back into wet clay if it is in contact with water, and has only ever been air dried. However, that being said, I have craft pieces I made 35 years ago, air dried, and painted with acrylic paint. Little bowls and ornaments and such. If something like this broke, I might try hot glue, as it isn't water soluable. Epoxy might work as well.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

It has been over a year now that I have been struggling without a full-time job. I have learned that it is not necessary to buy the greatest gift at the trendiest shops to please somebody for their birthday, Christmas, or any occasion.

I bought a set of colored polymer clays at the craft shop for under $10, and figured out how to sculpt a tiny statue of my fiance, holding his guitar. It has turned out to be the best present I have ever given him. It is the talk of most of our at-home parties.

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Clay Sculpture

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Photo Description
These are the decorations that I did not get completely finished, but they are still pretty! I will finish the coloring with markers or nail polish, then one last glaze with clear nail polish, then they will be ready for giving as Easter gifts this year!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

This is a page about making a polymer clay octopus. Polymer clay is a pardonable clay like material based on PVC, typically used to make art and sculpture pieces.

Making a Polymer Clay Octopus

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

This is a page about making polymer clay trinket bowls. These bowls are not only beautiful, but are easy and fun to make.

Making Polymer Clay Trinket Bowls

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Crafts OtherJanuary 7, 2013
😎
📓
🐛
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Crafts-Using-Clay.html