Craft Ideas Using Photographs

Category Miscellaneous
Photo crafts are a great way to display treasured moments. This guide contains craft ideas using photographs.

If you don't have the money for expensive Photoshop software, but have a scanner and want to make funny photos with yourself and others in it, simply go through your photos and pick out poses of yourself and others that you like. Then get backgrounds from magazines, catalogs, or newspapers and crop your photos. Add yourself to the scene as I have done in my own photo. I used several family photos and product catalogs to make up this and I made a mousepad out of this.

Good luck, we had fun!

By Igmommy from Sweetwater, TN

I was looking through a magazine while waiting at the doctors office the other day and found this little gem.

Take a photograph of just about anything and place it on a blank piece of paper 8x10 and then have your child add to the photograph by drawing on the paper. Here is an example.

By John from Haysville, KS

This is a guide about making a photo quilt. A photo quilt is a great way to capture memories in a unique way. The supplies are easily available at your local craft store.

A pile of old photos.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making a photo calendar. Photo calendars are perfect way to give current photos to friends and family. Whether it's a collage of photos or large copies of your favorite shots from the previous year, make everyone on your gift list happy with personalized photo calendar.

family photos

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Santa and holiday photos used to decorate!

Approximate Time: One hour or less (more time for drying)

Instructions:

Take new and old photos of your kids when they sat on Santa's lap or just any photos really and add "Scrapbook-like" backgrounds to them. They make wonderful decorations for all to see when they come for holiday fun at your house! The only limit is your imagination. You can take cardboard or card stock and draw images as you see here and glue on different things you might have around the house like poms and sparkles.

Find a great spot to glue the photo on, punch a hole in the top, tie a ribbon or pipe cleaner around and hang wherever. Mine decorate my banister to give more holiday appeal as you walk in the door. I also run wide holiday ribbon on my banister hanging down to staple cards that people send me. It's a great place to hang the cards and they don't fall off! I run garland and lights at the top to finish off the look!

By Michele from Marysville, OH

I have taken apart a box of photos in the process of organizing my house. I have a small bag of trash, photos of folks I don't know and doubles but I have many black and white photos from my aunt and uncle. I don't know the people. What can I do with them? There are some pictures of advertisements, families, old cars and trains and landscapes. Any ideas?

Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Answers

What a treasure. I would have fun using them for greeting cards. You could come up with some cute lines to go with whatever is on the photo. Sometimes people pull the funniest faces.

The photos of cars and the like are great for male birthday cards. If you place another colour paper underneath and then trim it, use other colours and built it up. It looks great.

If you do not want them you might like to donate to your school or after school program where kids can use it for craft.

Have fun.

I had many of the same ideas about using them for greeting cards. You might also make a collage of the photos and have instant ancestors!

These could be a treasure trove to someone who might know these people and places. Try a local historical or genealogical society to see if they would like to have them. Have you checked with other relatives who might remember some of the people?

Some people collect old pictures or anything old. They will buy them from you. Look at the ads in the paper or magazine ads.

Try to find someone in the family doing genealogy and give them to the family members. Some of them might not have pictures of the family.

Many times, I have gone to Goodwill, to find a basket on the top of the jewelry counter with old photos called "instant ancesters"!! You can donate them for those people who love nostalgiac decor. I have taken post cards that I love, punched equal numbered holes around the edges,placed the gummed reinforcements behind them, and crocheted a border. Then, I simply whip stitch the borders together. You could do the same, with black thread or yarn if they are b/w photos. You might want to glue them to cardboard or felt/foam first so they are stiffer. You could decopage them onto a box, or make them into a collage, reducing the size of some of the photos by cutting out the background stuff. Someone suggested book marks, and that is cool, too.
I once found some very pretty victorian stickers at a dollar store, stuck them back to back with some string coming from the top, and used the rim of a cottage cheese tub to make them into a very quiet "windchime/mobile". Google "old photo crafts" and you might get some ideas, too.

Lots of people use them for crafts. If you don't want them, I would love them. Unless you get a good idea for using them pamiam AT juno.com I don't have any family. It would be fun to frame then and say they are my family! Good luck, Pam

I had a folding screen I used as a room divider in college. The panels had seen better days, so I applied contact paper to the panels and then used old photos, cutouts from magazines, fabric swatches, etc., to create collages on all the panels.

I've collected old mason jars for a number of years, but never knew what to do with them all. One day I noticed my aunt had hers lined up on a bookcase and had placed old black and white family photos in them for display. They make for a great way to display the old ones and you can change them out when you want, very easily.

Even though you may not know the people, a lampshade from the negatives would be great! Check out the link:

http://www.craf  p?topic=315490.0

If you "find" old photos at Thrift store or garage sale that seem to you to be old (like pre 1940) and they have any identifying information on the back and/or a photographer name/location on them, people like me may be able to unite them with a family member or descendant who would cherish that photo. Not all photos have that type of information on them. Some do. Old funeral cards and wedding announcements are also family heirlooms. I have done this several times in the past. I love genealogy. It is a shame that some old photos are simply thrown away. If you have a photo like that, ask a genealogist you know. I would love to help reunite a photo with a family. Please post a message to this thread and we can connect. Barb

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I used leftover photos from my scrapbook projects (even cut up pictures can be used). I made a memory wall for my son so he can look at pictures of fun times with friends and relatives everyday. The rest of the family enjoys it too.

1. Paint podge onto the back of photos being used and apply to wall.

2. Collage the pictures as you like, overlapping them. Add as many as you like. I did the whole wall.

3. After pictures are in place, paint the podge over top of the entire project. This will dry clear and flat.

4. Optionally, hang a frame around a small grouping.

5. If updating or adding pictures to your wall, simply repeat steps 1 - 3 right over top of the previously applied photos.

6. Enjoy the conversation with your child each and everyday.

By Ginette from Mount Albert, ON

Editor's Note: This is a permanent not temporary decoration. When removed, the wall will need to be repainted.

Wall covered with photos.

Comment Like this photo? 3