Making a Photo Quilt

Category Quilting
A photo quilt is a great way to capture memories in a unique way. The supplies are easily available at your local craft store. This is a guide about making a photo quilt.

Has anyone ever made a picture blanket? I heard it was possible to use the iron on transfers to make a picture blanket. My question is, what material do you use when ironing on a picture? What color material works best?

By Jaysgal from NJ

Answers

The best way I know is to use the ironon transfer sheets you purchase. There are several different brands, some work better than others. If you have never used any I would first try Avery I have the best luck with it. There is a fabric made specifically for photo quilts. It is called Blumenthal craft photo fabric. I have not used it and had good luck by washing my fabric in hot water and 1//2 C baking or washing soda first to get any finish out of the fabric. I have read that Epson ink has a better ink for fabric printing so if you have access to an epson printer I would use it if possible. It is said not to fade from light as fast which seems to be the worst problem for picture quilts. I hope this helps.

Can use any material cotton best. I made a quilt out of pictures and T Shirts. You need to have a scanner and printer, get the transfer paper from hobby shop or computer store, some Walmarts carry it. instructions are in the pkg. of transfer paper. Use light colors. I have made mine on pale, green, pink, blue. Put picture in center of square and used contrasting colors around the square. Example: green around the pink, just different ways to frame the square, to make the quilt. Very pretty. White cotton T;s can use different pic.'s just scan them and print them. or draw what you want and scan it. Lots of fun.

The color of the material will depend on whether you are using a color photo or not. Check the package on the back of the photo transfer package there are suggestions on there.

Wishing you the best!

Has anyone ever made a photo quilt? I am thinking about making one for my daughter's graduation. Any suggestions and/or ideas?

Sheila from Chittenango, NY

Answers

Yes, I have made one. You go to a craft store or Joann Fabric's and get transfer paper. You must decide if you are making your photos on a copier or laser jet printer because the paper is different according to which way you go. I took my photos to Office Max and they made the copies for me on a color printer. It worked great! You read the directions and iron the photo (after it has been transfered unto the transfer paper) on the fabric which will be your block for your quilt. I used an off white muslin because I wanted it to look aged. It should be a solid color though Be sure to use larger piece of fabric then what the finished size will be. You can cut it down to the exact size after it's ironed on. Just read the directions thoroughly and practice. Some of my pictures I had to go back and have redone because I removed the backing of the transfer paper too quickly. Have fun!!