Crafts Using Rocks and Minerals

Category Nature
There are many creative ways that stones of all sizes can be used in craft projects. This is a guide about crafts using rocks and minerals.

I love using natural objects for crafts. They look great on a table in a cottage or your home.

Approximate Time: 2 hours approximately

1. Enjoy a day at a lake, beachcombing for interesting driftwood pieces and nice smooth rocks that will fit nicely onto the driftwood.
  2. Find or take your own photo of an animal, bird, or flower that you like.
  3. Prepare your rock: wash, let dry, and then paint it with 2 coats of black acrylic paint (or whatever colour you like). You can buy acrylic paint at most dollar stores or in the craft area of department stores.
  4. Ad

5. Following your photo, paint the animal/bird you like on it. (I use white tracing paper I purchased at a craft store to apply my pattern onto the rock.)
  6. When you have finished painting, seal the rock with varnish (3 coats).
  7. Clean the sand and debris off the driftwood. You can wash it, but let it dry for a couple of days in the sun, or you can use an old paintbrush to brush the dirt off.
  8. Varnish the driftwood (3 coats, letting it dry well in between coats).
  9. Decide on a place on the driftwood where the rock will sit upright and then hot glue it to the driftwood.
  10. This is a beautiful cottage or home decor craft project using natural materials. It is also a great conversation piece to put on display. You can help kids with this craft providing them with photos of simple objects to paint (a basic flower, a smiley face, etc.)

By ann from Goulais River, Ontario

Pull out that container of pretty rocks you have collected over time or go for a hike and pick up a few. Add an inspirational message with a permanent pen and give them as gifts and keep some for yourself. This is a guide about creating inspirational rocks.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

I keep my fresh flowers longer by putting them in stones I've collected at the beach. The jar is decorated with rub on decals. When the flowers die, I clean off the rocks, add shells and leave it.

By sherry from Onset, MA

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I bought a bag of river rocks. They are smooth. I'd like some ideas for making them into something for an Employee Appreciation Day we are having. I think I'd like something simple or decoupaged to enhance morale, as well as, saying "thank you" to each employee.

Please help me out with some unique ideas or with a web url you have favored. Thanks bunches.

By gem from Gordonsville, VA

Honestly, I would be totally insulted.
You would do better with donuts in the am, a catered lunch, a paid day off, gift certificates, scratch off Lotto tickets or even better, raises.

I agree with JennyJo 100%. Your idea of making trinkets with river rocks is way off base. Give something employees can use.

I love the idea of a catered lunch. It doesn't have to be a gourmet spread but I bet everyone would appreciate it.

Well the appreciation day is something that isn't done by the company and I was trying to figure out something kinda like a keepsake for them. We have no funds for any activities for the employees so it was decided and agreed upon that we would all chip in for the food, charcoal, paper products etc. The site is free and the swimming area is free.
With that said I just wanted some neat ideas to try to put a smile on a few faces.

Think of a specific quality each person possesses, like integrity, courtesy, generosity, etc. and put that one word on the stone. Then write a note to each person explaining how much they are appreciated for being courteous, generous, honest, etc.

That way, when they look at the stone, they will be reminded to continue with that trait and that they are appreciated for it!

I love the feel of river rocks. A paperboy used one and painted it to look like a turtle. I still have it. A few months ago, I was at a play where everyone got to choose a rock with one word painted on it (such as love, patience, etc.). I love it.
I think it's a great idea.

This is a wonderful idea, with little money spent, everyone will enjoy a thoughtful gift. wrap the stone in a small piece of gift basket wrap (at dollar store), and a piece of ribbon to hold it together, put a tag on it with the persons name and why this word pertains to them, I for one would love it,

I saw on here someone was making rock crafts. I would like to see that again, as I want to make some.

Do you mean decorating rocks by painting or decoupaging?

try this...just scroll down a little

http://www.thri  ml?q=rock+crafts

google something like : cute garden stones -- you will get ideas :)

I happen to be one of those people that collect odd stones from everywhere I travel.
This hobby cost nothing and just might keep memories alive for many years.

with a little paint and immagination I have made bookends,doorstops and candle holders from some rocks.
Mr. Thrifty

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
This is a necklace I made, shown hanging in a spruce tree outside our home. The necklace and tree matched so well, that I decided to pair them up. The necklace was made from a beach rock, silver wire, green crystal, freshwater pearls, and a mother-of-pearl star. The tree, well, that grew on its own!

Photo Location
Anchorage, Alaska

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1