Creative Uses for Garden Edging

Category Reusing

Garden edging whether pavers or the flexible type can be repurposed thereby helping you save money on another task. This is a guide about creative uses for garden edging.

I needed something that would hold up to my always sweating windows when my wooden window sills were totally shot. I found some half-inch thick, slightly bendable plastic garden edging in my garage that the previous owner had left. I simply measured my window sills then cut the garden edging with my jig-saw, then caulked and tacked it into place under my windows.

I also needed a durable molding for the wall behind my kitchen sink. I used the same stuff and hung up Dollar Store 12 inch pre-stick floor tiles that have a pattern of light, med and dark "wood" diamonds. These tiles look just like woven/parquet wood. I stuck these wood-look vinyl floor tiles behind the brown plastic "molding" on the wall. The brown (garden edging) molding looks amazing with the fake-wood tiles. I also put the same tiles under my (always dripping) picture windows in my craft room.

It looks like I have fancy wood inlayed on my walls. It may sound like a strange color choice, but I painted my walls a "peanut butter" or caramel color and it looks amazing with the fake wood and brown (garden edging) molding! The Dollar Store tiles were 3 for a dollar, the paint was "oops" paint at only $5 a gallon and the garden edging "molding" was free. You can't beat that price for a quickie fix-up!

By Cyinda from Seattle

I love taking someone's used items to create something with a different purpose. Sometimes it becomes something totally different, and other times its purpose is similar to the original one. Last month I found some old edging bricks from another garden. Their new purpose: a connecting path between my dining patio and my fire pit area.

The saw-tooth edges fit well together when placed on their sides. I added a few bricks I had to create a curving path, some stone to fill in some of the crevices between the bricks, and now I have a wonderful pathway that I purchased for $10. It fits my garden style well adds a lot of charm.

By susan from Elkhart, IN