Crochet Coat Hangers

Category Ideas
Decorative crochet coat hangers are fun to make, use, and give as gifts. This is a guide about crochet coat hangers.

For mere pennies, you can have a pretty hanger. This one is for my little girl, but with more mature colors, etc. you could easily make them for adults too. All you need is a basic plastic hanger, yarn of any weight, and something pretty to attach to the neck. I used a wire butterfly from the dollar store. They are sold in packs of 3, so are very inexpensive! A silk flower hot glued to the front would also be cute.

If you'd like a quick and unique baby shower gift, buy a pack of baby hangers and whip up a batch of these for the new little princess. Whatever you do, have fun!

Total Time: approximately 30-40 minutes

Yield: 1

Source: Self

• plastic hanger
  • "I" crochet hook
  • embroidery needle
  • scissors
  • wire butterfly
  • tiny amount worsted yarn

1. Start with a basic plastic tube hanger.
  2. You will be crocheting around the hanger. It will feel awkward at first, but you will get the hang of it. Simply place your hook behind the hanger and yarn in front.
  3. Ad

4. First single crochet made.
  5. As you single crochet, your stitches will be far apart and twisty. Don't worry, you can fix it.
  6. Ad

7. See? Just slide your stitches over and straighten them. I had made 34 single crochet at this point.
  8. Just continue right around the corner, 62 sc here.
  9. Ad

10. And around the 2nd corner, 150 sc at this point.
  11. When you have 185 sc done, you will be at the top!
  12. Ad

13. You will need to weave your ends in on the back side of the hanger here.
  14. See, all gone!
  15. Now grab your butterfly, or whatever pretty thing you want to attach to the neck.
  16. Thankfully, this has wire at the back, so I simply had to wrap it around the hanger.
  17. If it hadn't, I would have hot glued it on. Glue gun to the rescue!
  18. See?
  19. Enjoy!

I went to Walmart the other day and they had Halloween shirts on clearance sale. I bought a couple thinking that it would great to have a couple of long sleeved shirts next Halloween. Anyway the cashier asked me if I would like the hangers. I thought a minute and then asked "Don't you guys reuse these?" She replied that most of the time they just get thrown away. So I said sure I would take the hangers.

On the way home I thought about how I could cover them to make them nice enough to be used as Christmas presents for my girlfriends. On a tight budget like everyone else this year I still want to be able to give something to my closest friends. I knew I had some yarn that was like a denim and other colors I could use from other projects and except for my time these gifts would practically be free. So I sat down with my hook and some yarn and designed these easy covers for free.

They really are quick and easy so you can make lots of them and you will be helping to keep the earth green, as with all plastics it takes a long time for these to break down in the landfill. Crochet a couple of extra and take them to your local nursing home, these are perfect for hanging nightgowns on because they help to keep the gown on the hanger. These could be made for men also, just use more earth tones. I added a bow to the top and a small easy sack made from wired ribbon so that the ladies could add their favorite perfume or essential oil.

Time to Complete: 30 minutes crochet time

Materials

Directions:

1. The top of the hanger right below the hook is where you will be starting, in case you want to measure.
  2. Chain 21
  3. Row 1 In second chain from hook DC all the way across. Chain 2, turn.
  4. Row 2 In second chain from hook, DC all the way across. Chain 2, turn.
  5. Row 3: In second chain from hook 2 Dc and then Dc until the last stitch, 2 dc in last stitch.
  6. Now 22 chain stitch. In the second chain from hook Dc all the way across including the body. Finish off.
  7. Row 4 in the side of the next to the last row attach yarn and chain 22. Turn and DC all the way across. Finish off.
  8. Slip stitch both hanger pieces together over the hanger I found that it was easiest to slip stitch from the center bottom up around the first leg to the hanger and then slide the hanger in. Then I finished off and worked in the ends.
  9. Then I did the other side of the hanger starting at the top and slip stitched around with the hanger in the middle. Then I finished off and worked in my ends.
  10. I decorated with a bow and took a little piece of wired ribbon and folded it in half and put in two cotton balls then I twisted the top and attached to the hanger.

By Debra from Colorado

I just crochet a very very long chain. Then, even if it's too short, it can be added to and continued. I put some hot glue to the base of the "hook" and wait for it to cool. Then, you simply wrap it around, gluing every 4-6" until it's all the way around and meeting up with the other end.

I have a pattern for crocheting wire hanger covers. The pattern is simple. Use two wire hangers tied together by the hook.

I want to know the instructions to wrap yarn on a coat hanger. I know the way I have been doing it is not correct, although it works. Do you have instructions?

By Cheryl

Answers

Google search for how to do macrame. I used to do this years ago and made some nice macrame knots on metal hangers using various knots.

Crafty Gardener,
You said in your directions that you had made changes to the original" crochet plastic coat hanger" directions. My grandmother used to make these for the whole family. Although the basic pattern is the same, she did some things that make them a bit different from yours. Was wondering if you could email me the original instructions so that I could see if they are what she did. Thanks. BJ
My email is: TheBGs@comcast.net.
PS: I worked on these all winter and have been giving them to family on birthdays.

How do you start to wrap a wire clothes hanger with yarn, but not with a crochet hook or knitting needle?

By Liz

Answers

I remember as a kid someone taught my to finger crochet a sort of slipknot for hangers without using a hook or needle. First make a knotted loop then hold the hanger between your knees and "finger crochet around the metal hanger, using a slipknot to tie it finished.

I am looking for the instructions on covering wire coat hangers.

By pamiesue from Fredericton, NB

Answers:

Yarn Covered Coat Hangers

I found this one:
Crochet Covered coat hangers

Why not crochet some covers for all those plastic hangers you have in your closet. They help protect your clothes and stop them from slipping off onto the floor. Follow the pattern and make 2 pieces. Slip each piece onto the end of the coat hanger, pull together, and overcast stitch on both sides of the hanger. Do this for the top and the bottom to get a snug fit.

Materials needed:

(10/31/2010)

By keeper60

How do I make yarn covered coat hangers?

By Paula from Dallas

Answers:

Yarn Covered Coat Hangers

They are easy!

1. Tie the yarn on the hanger and hold the yarn tail on the hanger. As you make your loops with yarn, you're going to cover the tail.

2. Make a yarn loop at the base of the hanger and stick the ball of yarn through the loop; pull tight.

3. Repeat all the way around the hanger.

4. To end, tie a knot with the last loop through and tuck end inside previous tied area.
(04/22/2010)

By bkvander

Yarn Covered Coat Hangers

Here's a link to the pattern I figured out to crochet. I didn't like any of the patterns I found, so I came up with my own.
http://craftylady79.blogspot.com/2008/10/crocheted-hanger.html (04/25/2010)

By calnorth

How do you make yard covered coat hangers? Tips from the ThriftyFun community. .

Crochet Technique

You can crochet a strip about 8-10 stitches single crochet wide and then measure the hanger. Then you can sew with a yarn needle or crochet them on to make a tube. I hope that's not too confusing.

Use A Braid

We grew up covering coat hangers. It is a braiding method, beginning at the neck of the hanger.

By Lee in TX

Good Web Instructions

I found a good illustrated resource for yarn covered hangers at:

By Kathy

Crafty Gardener Instructions

On my personal website I have directions for the braided covered wire coathangers, crochet covered coathangers, and a material covered coathanger.

By Crafty Gardener

Step By Step Instructions

1. Cut off a good sized length of yarn.
  2. Holding the hanger in front of you, tie the yarn onto the hanger down in the lower right hand side.
  3. Let your piece of yarn hang down.
  4. Holding hanger in front of you bring the yarn up and over the horizontal wire, (so that your yarn goes down behind the wire) forming a loop. Bring the end of the yarn through the loop so that the piece of yarn is now back in front of the hanger.
  5. Pull the yarn tight and it will form a knot. As you go along and make more knots, covering your hanger, you can easily adjust the knots so that they form a straight line. I'm not sure, but I think I remember from my macrame' days that this is called a half hitch knot.
  6. When you have about an inch of yarn left, wrap it tightly several times around the hanger and glue.
  7. Start another piece of yarn in the same way you started the first piece.
  8. Keep going, looping and knotting until the entire hanger is covered and then just glue the ends of the yarn to hold them tight.
  9. You might find it easier to "practice" first by looping and knotting on a pencil.
Hope this helps. Also, instead of using just a single length of yarn, you could use double strands. It would give your hanger a thicker covering. Just make sure when you cut your yarn pieces that they are of equal length. You could also use contrasting colors and make your hanger covers pink and white or black and white, black and grey. Anything at all.

By lovethosehounds

More Expert Advice

My girlfriend and I made a ton of these for gifts one year. If you use wire hangers, put two of them together. It makes for a thicker hanger. You only need one if you use the plastic hangers. We didn't cut the yarn, though, as instructed below, we just used the whole skein of yarn rolled into a ball. Tie a knot in the lower right corner, wrap yarn around hanger and grab it to make a loop. Bring ball of yarn through loop and pull tight. Do this until you go around the entire hanger. Then tie off the yarn when you're done. We also tied yarn bows at the top of the hanger, below the hook section.

Have fun. Once you get the hang of it, you can make them really fast. You can even do this with two different colors, just tie them both together when you start and follow the above directions. It's harder to use two colors, though, until you get used to doing this with one color.

By Sjackie2000

Feel free to post your ideas below.

Answers:

Yarn Covered Coat Hangers

I did this several years ago for some hangers. To make the yarn easier to manage I made a ball a little smaller than a tennis ball. I did the hanger as though I were casting on to a knitting needle. After going all the way around the garment area I knotted it and made a small yarn bow, I left the part which goes over the closet rail bare. I plan to show my grand daughter how to do this. (10/10/2007)

By MartyD

Yarn Covered Coat Hangers

You can also use fleece to cover clothes hangers. Make sure the fleece you use has a napped side as well as a fuzzy side. I used Windpro fleece that I had left over from an earlier project, but any fleece that is not too stretchy will do. You can actually use any heavy material that will not fray and will not leave lint.

I cut long strip-60 inches-the width of my material. I used the width of my ruler as a guide to cut the strip. Measure down 3/4 of an inch and cut the ends on a diagonal. With the napped side up, start wrapping from the neck of the hanger. Wrap diagonally around the hanger a couple of times and with a needle and thread stitch the end and wrap the thread around the hanger neck a couple of times then knot in the material. Leave the needle attached.

Keep wrapping diagonally, stretching strip so it fits smoothly and snugly on the wire (like a tenser bandage). Overlap as you go. My strip was 1 1/4 inches wide and I overlapped by 3/4 of an inch. When you get to the neck cut again on the diagonal and stitch and wrap the end to the neck of the hanger. (10/10/2007)

By Myrna

Yarn Covered Coat Hangers

I braid my hangers with Nylotex Selvedge. It is a great winter hobby and it recycles the wire hangers. You can double them up for sturdy coat hangers. All of my closets are full. You will never fold a t-shirt again. They also make great gifts. I used them as gifts on our trip to the Dominican Republic. The housekeepers there treated us like royalty. (11/03/2007)

By Joyce Robertson

RE: Yarn Covered Coat Hangers

I a looking for the pattern for crocheted hangers.

Anyone know how to crochet a pad for a wooden coat hanger so when your clothes hang they don't get the bump on the shoulder? Thank you! Rio Lady

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.