Curing and Preserving Olives

Preserving Olives
If you live in an area where you can grow olive trees you can process your own olives. This is a guide about curing and preserving olives.

Today I was given a large bucket of olives freshly picked. Although I googled "curing olives" there were so many listings and so many different instructions it was overwhelming. I wonder if anyone would have some information on this.

Kindest regards,

Last night I watched a food tv program called "Good Eats" The entire show was on olives and how to preserve them. I think you could look it up on food network.

What i remember him saying is....YOu must first soak the fresh olives in a Lye soloution for several days. This removes the bitter taste then in fresh water for several more. these can be at room temp. He had them in plastic container with lids. Then depending on how you would like them you can preserve them in a brine (which is usually a vinegar soloution), or oil.

Just type in the address below and this will take you to the show...hope this helps...

http://www.food  56_42968,00.html

Here is a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens - Nov. 2005 - that I used successfully last year with green olives, and this year with black olives:

Wash 1 kg of green or black olives in cold water, slit each one lengthways to the stone, then place in a stainless steel bowl. Cover with cold water, then with a clean tea-towel and a dinner plate to submerge them. Change the water daily for about 7 - 9 days, then taste one after this time. If still bitter, continue for a few more days, then drain and wash.

Make a brine: Add 500 g cooking salt to 4 litres water and stir over low heat till salt is dissolved. (I found that I did not need all this quantity). Leave till cool. Place drained olives in sterilised jars, add brine to cover, then top with a layer of olive oil. Seal and store in a cool, dry place 2 - 3 months before using.

I layered the green olives with garlic cloves, small chillis, and lemon rind, and they turned out brilliantly. I did the same this year with black olives, but they aren't ready for eating yet.

Regards, Brenda from Melbourne, Australia

Thank you very much for the tips Melfrmny and Brenda. I have started the process (Aussie style) and am hoping to have the same success.

Thanks again,

Maree