MiscellaneousCrafts

DIY Turkish Fez

My son's school will be celebrating United Nations day tomorrow and they were assigned to wear different countries' traditional costumes. His country will be Turkey. Good thing our neighbor's got a prince costume which I upgraded and made it look like traditional Turkish men's wear. But my problem is the traditional hat called a "fez" which I haven't found in stores. What I did was gather some scraps from the accessories I added on to the costume and made a hat that will perfectly match the suit. I also added a special detail by making a pair of hand crafted shoes.

1. Measure the size of the child's head. Draw a 2 parallel curved lines in a piece of cardboard based on the measurement. Make about 3 inches space between the lines.
  2. Cut along the lines. Then stick the cardboard onto the cloth to prevent it from moving as you cut it.
  3. Ad

4. Cut cloth around the cardboard leaving about a 1 inch allowance. Cover the whole cardboard with it and secure with glue.
  5. Roll the fully covered cardboard. Flip it upside down and trace the bottom.
  6. Ad

7. Cut the traced circle and cover with cloth.
  8. Make a tiny hole in the center of the circle. Now insert about 4-6 strands of tassel into the hole and tie both ends.
  9. Ad

10. Then start rolling the cardboard again with the circle positioned on the bottom. Stick them together using hot glue. You now have a plain hat.
  11. Now, let's work on the tassel. Roll 2 inches of tassel around the knotted tip outside the hat. See photo. Glue it into place.
  12. Ad

13. Lastly, decorate the fez with your desired accessories.
  14. It's done!
  15. Ad

You should be getting the Mommy of the Year Award!! This is so inventive and he looks so adorable!! Great job!

thank you @Sandi .. being a DIY mom is really fun especially when there is a good outcome with less expense.