Turkish Scrambled Eggs (Menemen)
Many vegetables make these Turkish scrambled eggs a filling main dish. Delicious served with flatbread for a special meal.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is an economical, delicious recipe to utilize all the tomatoes and peppers from your garden. This is definitely a restaurant-quality meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion (about 10 ounces), peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, plus more as needed
- 1/4 tsp pepper, plus more as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 mild green pepper, stemmed, halved lengthwise, seeded, then diced
- 1 cup peeled, chopped fresh heirloom tomato (about 7 ounces) or canned diced San Marzano tomatoes with their juices
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter (optional)
- Flatbread, toasted or untoasted, for serving
- Heat the oil in a nonstick medium skillet over medium-high.
- Add the onion, oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Stir in the green pepper and cook until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- While the onions and peppers are cooking, purée half the tomatoes in a food processor or blender.
- Once the onions and peppers are soft, add the remaining chopped tomatoes to the pan.
- Put the eggs into a medium bowl, add the puréed tomatoes and whisk until foamy.
- Once the mixture in the skillet comes to a simmer, stir in the 1/4 cup parsley and the butter, if using.
- Reduce heat to low, add the egg mixture on top and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are set but still soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Taste, adding a little more salt, oregano and pepper, if needed.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve directly from the skillet, with flatbread.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.