Dealing With Dirty Shoes

Category Shoes
Working in wet weather or the garden can leave you with very dirty shoes. This guide is about dealing with dirty shoes.

Do you have muddy shoes, boots, clogs? I have a cheap and easy solution. In many dollar stores (I got mine at Dollar Tree) you can buy a rectangular black tray, intended to be used as an oil pan to collect drips under your car or to protect from drips when you are draining or changing oil or oil filters or any such messy job. But I find the tray to be perfect to keep on a deck or porch or in a mudroom, for holding shoes, boots, or gardening clogs.

It's a plain black tray that is unobtrusive, easy to clean if it collects mud from the footwear, and even our strong winds have not blown it away (perhaps because the shoes weigh it down sufficiently).

You can also use one when potting or transplanting to contain the mess, or even as a large saucer under plants to protect from water drainage or the marks that pots leave on decks or furniture. You may think of other uses for this durable tray that will cost you just a buck.

Margret, this is a wonderful tip! I haven't seen these pans, but I'll be looking for them now at the dollar stores near me. I think they would be good as starter litter pans for kittens before they graduate to a regular pan. Another use would be for keeping small items together on shelves in a garage or closet. Of course, there must be many other uses for these. Thanks for sharing your brainstorm! You got my vote!