Dealing With a Broody Hen

Category Birds
Broody Hen
Having one of your hens go broody can be surprising and a bit frustrating. She will be so intent on hatching her eggs that you may notice behavioral changes including cessation of eating and aggressiveness when you try to remove the eggs. This is a guide about dealing with a broody hen.

My 12 month old Australorp hen sits on eggs she does lay.
My dad tells me to make her as uncomfortable. Any thoughts?

By Bev M

Answer Was this helpful? 1

This is not an answer, I am editing the page. She sits on eggs but does not lay any.

You really don't want baby chicks in the winter so break up the nest she is sitting in and see if she will just quit. Or make her not like sitting there like a couple of rocks big enough to not be adjustable.

If other hens are laying in the nest I would take away that nest and make them go somewhere else. But, she may just move to another nest then I would separate her from the others a couple of days and then put her back in.

If you're not wanting babies, place fake eggs in the nest. She'll come in handy if you have another hen who lays but won't sit. You may also buy some chicks for her to raise. Broody hens are worth their weight in gold!