AdviceDecorating

Decorating Sliding Glass Door

Do you have anything on your sliding glass door other than the vertical, old type blinds, or drapes? I now have drapes on mine and I hate them. Behind the drapes are pleated sheers. In the same room there are three, side by side windows so whatever I put on the sliding glass door has to coordinate.

Insulation is not a factor because the door goes out to a large garden room thereby blocking the sun from the sliding door. Privacy is also not an issue because when looking out it faces the side of a neighbor's house which has no windows and is quite a distance away. The only time I see anyone in the neighbor's yard is when someone is mowing the grass. At one point I took down the drapes just leaving the white sheers, but the room looked bare. I do need something on the sliding glass door because there is a glare on my TV in the adjoining den. Any suggestions?

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

Sheets make excellent curtains. They are also easy to install, even when you don't want to sew them. You can get clips at the drapery hardware section that "pinch" the fabric and then allows the rod to be inserted. Sometimes it is nice to have them down, then up.

A pretty tie back can be made out of just about anything. If you like country, rip some fabric and use that. If you like modern...well you get the picture.

Another alternative is shower curtains. They are already punched for rings, which can be quite fancy or homey. Then, she slide open all the way, half way, just a bit, etc.

I hope those help. Sandi/PBP

I have the same situation where I am going to be moving in AZ. I hate vertical blinds (I think they look institutional) so I plan on making curtains for my sliding door. I have two windows adjacent to the sliding door, not three but the situation would be the same. I plan to make curtains for the sliding door using the pinch rings so I can slide them to one end. Then on the two windows (which have the two inch wooden blinds) I am going to make a cornice that covers both windows in the same fabric. Maybe that will give you an idea?