Decorating a Mug

Make that plain coffee cup or mug more fun by applying a decoration to the outside. There are several techniques you can use. This is a guide about decorating a mug.

I want to put decoupage onto a plain drinking mug and would like some help and advice. I need to know the mug will be both heatproof and waterproof. I am sure that somewhere on the ThriftyFun site or someone that reads it may be able to help.

Many thanks,
Lilian

Answers

Best Answer

Decopauge is only paper and glue. I don't think you would have any trouble heating and washing it. Check the bottom of the mug, it should tell you if you can microwave it. Some mugs get too hot to handle, but they cool off quickly.
Good luck!

Best Answer

You can spray with Acrylic Mod Podge Sealer found at Hobby Lobby for 9.99 use your 40% to make the price come down. Spray it let it set for 30 min then re do the same way 5 more times to make sure its waterproof.

I bought some 32 oz. plastic travel mugs with the intent of decorating them. But I am coming to realize they may be difficult to decorate. Can anybody reccomend a painting technique that would be dishwasher durable or other craft technique that would be dishwasher durable that I could use to decorate them? I am not hugely artistic, but could do rudimentary stencils or lettering. The ability to apply paper art with a clear plastic/polyurethane covering would be fabulous.

Mark from Altamonte

Answers

Best Answer

You could use Sharpie Permanent Markers to write names, draw school mascots or inspirational quotes on the mugs. Sharpies come in a rainbow of colors now, so that should boost the creativity level.

Is there a way to affix a glossy photo to a ceramic coffee mug? I tried Mod Podge, but even after 12 hours, 1/2 the photo peeled off. Thanks for any suggestions!

By Jilly Bean

Answers

Best Answer

Were you trying to have the photo rub off onto the mug, or leave the actual photo on the mug? If you wanted the actual photo to stay on the mug, you could try cleaning the mug with vinegar first. Usually when you decoupage something onto any surface, you have to apply the ModPage on the back of the photo, and then put a coat of ModPage over the photo and onto the surrounding area. Let dry thoroughly and apply another coat.

I assume the mug wouldn't be able to be used for any hot beverages, because I don't know what the heat would do to the ModPage. This might work better if you used a photo copy of the picture, on regular paper instead of photo paper. The regular paper is lighter weight than photo paper.

Best Answer

Usually any photo pharmacy including walmart etc, have items that you can order with your photo on them... and the photo never comes off.