Deodorant to Remove Underarm Stains

contest winner icon
I bought a beautiful white sweater at a yard sale. The challenge though was the sweater had large yellow armpit stains. I got all sorts of advice, use OXI, use vinegar, use lemon juice, use baking soda; they all failed. Then someone said use what "caused the stain". Hmmmmm, deodorant.

I used a stick of solid white deodorant and rubbed it thickly into both sides inside and out. Let it sit in cold water overnight. Washed as normal the next morning and Wha-La! Beautiful white sweater that looks like new!

Hello and thanks for the article! Does this work on a variety of colors and fabrics?

Thank you!
Sarah

I have a black non-cotton (possibly rayon) top with white underarm stains. I'm not understanding the logic of why deodorant would remove deodorant stains, though. Can anyone explain the science of this? TIA!

I wonder if it binds and softens, enabling the old to wash off with the new? I would like to hear if anyone else has done this with positive results!

Interestingly, color removes color in the hair industry, and one of the best ways to get color off the skin is rubbing some fresh color on it and wiping it off immediately.