FamilyBetter Living

Determining the Paternity of a Child

When I was separated from my husband I was seeing someone and also meeting with my husband. I got pregnant and was sure child was my husband's and the hospital said even if he wasn't my husband's child, he had to be listed as father because we were still married. He died and I collected Social Security for my child. As my son got older I realized he might not be my husband's child. Just by looking at pictures of the other guy as a child, I saw that they look identical.

What happens if I found out my son was not really my husband's after all these years? The other guy also has passed so DNA is out. Will I get in trouble and go to jail? I was an alcoholic at the time and never thought clearly. Now I'm worried. I have been sober 13 yes now.

By Torri B

What an interesting question. I think because your child was legally acknowledged as your husbands (on the birth certificate) that in the eyes of the law and government he is your husbands child. Only in extreme cases would
DNA testing ever be considered. This child was your husbands legal child. He was qualified for benefits just as an adopted child would be. You should quit worrying. Can you imagine the expense and hassle of qualifying every child applying for social security benefits by using their DNA? It will never happen. Congratulations on your sobriety! Enjoy the tranquility you fought for.

Hello and many congratulations on your sobriety!

It is for sure that you are in no trouble for anything like this so that is not something to worry about.

However, your son may wish to know because of family health issues but bringing this up may cause many problems within your family and with your relationship with your son.