Does Anyone Have a Positive Parvo Story?

Category Health
Mother and daughter comforting a young smiling husky as vet looks on
Parvo is a deadly virus that sicken and kill dogs quickly. This is a guide about "Does anyone have a positive parvo story?".

I would be interested in hearing any positive parvo stories. We are experiencing parvo in our home now. We have lost two 5 month old pups, and have two older dogs still at the vet being treated. I am hoping for a positive outcome, but it gets harder with each day that passes. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly from Iowa

Answers

Best Answer

About 7 years ago, we adopted a pup from the shelter and took him home. He seemed sleepy, but otherwise ok. The next morning we woke up to the hallmarks of parvo (oh the smell!) We rushed him in to the vet who put him on an IV b/c it was indeed parvo. He had to stay there for a few days and when he got home, he was weak. We fed him baby food and pedialyte for a couple of weeks. He is now almost 7, 100lbs and the best dog in the world. They can survive this with appropriate treatment and a bit of luck. Keep the faith, your babies are counting on you! I'll be thinking about you.

Best Answer

I have saved several using an eye dropper and liquids; and about 50 pots of coffee. I sat up for 3 days giving a eye dropper every 10 minutes and one with IV. But as soon as I could turn loose of the puppies, I bought a spray for the feed store. I think it was called parvo kill. You mix it with water and spray your whole yard. Parvo can live in and on the ground of your home for 7 years.

Best Answer

I just saved 4 out of 5 puppies. My vet allowed me to treat them at home. I gave the lactacted ringers under the skin 4 times a day. Clavamox 2 times a day, and karo syrup. All of them started eating on day four. Use bleach to clean inside and outside. Wash bedding and linens with bleach. Wash bottom of shoes with bleach, vehicle tires. Spray your yard with bleach diluted with water. They can be saved. Good luck.

Best Answer

Yes! My puppy Elsa survived parvo. We brought her from a not so reputable place and I soon realised that she had not had her vaccines so I made an appointment for them.

We got her Thursday night, appointment made for Monday. However, on Sunday morning she started being very tired and limp and then was sick three times in less than one hour. I called the vet and they said to bring her straight in, and her temperature was 40 so they admitted her immediately. I and only had her two nights :(

I picked her up today from the vet (after having been in the vets for 6 nights and 7 days) here is what happened to her:

Sunday - hooked up to IV, pain medication, syringe feeding, vomiting and super tired.

Monday - blood in her poo and still vomiting, still has an IV bag, still syringe feeding.

Tuesday - much brighter and better,, no vomit and no diarrhea, we can pick her up this afternoon and also eating chicken by herself....but when the afternoon came she had crashed badly, really tired, and bloody diarrhea again. Medication changed, more IV given than before.

Wednesday - were told she may not make it through the night but she did, lots brighter in the morning and much happier... but again crashed in the afternoon, more medication given, abdomen really swollen, very tired and limp, vomiting again, doesn't want syringe food, IV still in

Thursday - no more vomiting, brighter again in the morning, interested in syringe feeding... but again crashed in the afternoon so badly that the vets were worried she may not make it. Tried to put a feeding tube up her nose but she fought them so they realised there was some fight left, plasma transfusion given, IV still in

Friday - brighter....diarrhea but no blood, no vomit, syringe feeding going well, still on IV and pain medication.

Saturday - really bright, destroyed toys in the kennel so given new ones, wants to go home, no blood but still has mild diarrhea, no vomiting, eating solid food and by herself. She's coming home and we picked her up!

She was up, down, up, down. I'm not going to lie, the cost has been approx £1,500 and that's excluding the after care we need to provide for her. Without the constant care of the vets, she would have almost certainly died. She was checked and fed on the hour, every hour, was in complete isolation as she is contagious, and has been on a lot of medication.

This is a horrible disease and I am lucky that the vets gave her such good care and that she was a little fighter.

This is a beatable disease. The best thing that breeders can do is vaccinate their puppies! And I have certainly learnt the hard way that I should have made more detailed checks to ensure that Elsa was vaccinated.

I am just glad I got my baby back. Just make sure that you notice the signs and get help from the vets ASAP. And be prepared for a whirlwind of a roller coaster ride of emotions if you are unfortunate enough for your puppy to get this horrible disease, the amount of times that Elsa crashed we had almost given up hope.

Fingers crossed for any puppy suffering out there.

Xx