Dog Makes Throaty Sound When Picked Up

I have two pure Shih Tzus, one is seven kgs and the other five kgs. Both are young and both are girls. The smaller one makes a weird noise when you pick her up. It seems to come from her throat, it's almost like grimacing deep in her throat. Neither snore. I have taken her to vet and she said she is fine. I'm not convinced. I'm worried sick. I can't lose her. They both mean the world to me.

By billiecharli

Best Answer

I have had dogs who did this. I always thought it was just the way their throats were made. When you pick them up air moves through their throats. It seemed to be involuntary. They both lived to be over 15 years. I don't think it really means anything.

My min pin does the same thing even when he wants to be picked up. I think he's just being a grumble bunny and has got to "fuss" a little even when any change is "his idea". I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you got the "OK" from the vet.

Anonymous

My shih tzu makes a noise like a purring cat when you pick her up or love on here.