Breed Information: Shih Tzu

Breed Description: Shih Tzus have compact, sturdy bodies with long flowing double coats and long facial hair. Considered a sacred animal in its native China, the nimble Shih Tzu was once described as having a lively gait 'like a goldfish.' Bright and expressive, this breed excels at what it was bred for-companionship.

Group: Toy Group

Purpose of Breed: Chinese court dog

Country of Origin: China

Average Size: Shih Tzus range from eight to eleven inches. Shih Tzus range from nine to sixteen pounds.

Color(s): All colors; a white blaze on the forehead and tail is highly prized.

Coat Type: Long, dense, and straight. Daily grooming is essential to keep the Shih Tzu's coat soft.

Grooming: Daily grooming is essential to care for this breed's coat, and the Shih Tzu needs bathing weekly. Wet hair should be carefully blown dry to avoid colds and hair over eyes can be pinned or clipped to aid in vision. Standard care is required for ears, pads, and nails. Eyes should be examined for problems often.

Exercise Needs: Shih Tzus are lively little dogs that easily adapt to apartment or condo life. Vigorous indoor activities may provide an adequate amount of exercise as well as short walks outdoors.

Temperament: The Shih Tzu is a gentle, but energetic, breed of dog that excels at being a loving companion. They are highly intelligent and love to learn new things. This breed is a good choice for the elderly or for families with older children that are not prone to roughhousing. Tzus enjoy traveling and will absorb and reflect the energy of whatever type of household they are a part of.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to kidney disorders, liver disease, eye problems, and umbilical hernias; teeth need regular veterinary attention

Life Expectancy: Can average from 10-18 years. Trivia: The Shih Tzu is often called "the chrysanthemum-faced dog" because of the way the hair grows around their face.

More Information: American Shih Tzu Club, Inc.

I have a male Shih Tzu and you are not suppose to bath them weekly nor any other dog for that matter you dry out there skin...

I have a male shish Tzu be 1 in jan 1 to exact . he love massages he really love them I brush his hair I did bathe him but think he has dry skin now but im taken him to goomer but my concern is that Mr Otis poop in my bed I block the room off first chance he get he will do it he know he did wrong then he hides .... Otis eviction notice if I cant get him to stop it

How old does the male have to be in order for breeding?