Dog Scratching A Lot

My Pit Bull won't stop itching, scratching, or biting himself. He also smells bad. He scratches himself till he bleeds, he is losing hair on his tall and back. He has no fleas and I give him baths and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what is causing him to do this? Please help.

By Milton

Please take your dog to a vet. There are many possible causes for the itch, but if he smells he might have a secondary infection which would require antibiotics. There are many things that cause itch that can't be cured without drugs from the vet so please make an appointment as soon as you can.

Anonymous

I agree. I am going thru that with my dog. She was biting herself even a week after surgery with a cone. After I was able to bathe her after stitches removed iI saw she chewed her back legs to bleeding. She is now on 3 medications to help her.

Please ask your vet if your dog has seborreah. It is a skin disease that causes the dog to scratch constantly, the fur is oily and smelly and there may be bald spots. We rescued a German Shepherd who had it and it took us forever to get it under control.

But what really worked is a shampoo called Malaseb. You can use it as often as needed. The big change came from a product called Dinovite which is a powder you add to the dogs food. You can only buy it from the manufacturer on line. My dog now has whiskers, a beautiful coat and never scratches. It is like a miracle.

Hi, I know this is a long shot because it's an old post but my Gs girl has had "seasonal allergies " ever since she turned 5 and she's now 8, Nothing is helping. Steroids are just coving it up and the malaceb is doing nothing for her. Did the dinovite really work for your gs? Because I am willing to try anything now as it just breaks my heart to see her so unhappy with itching. Thank you if you manage to answer this post.

The symptoms you describe could be a food allergy. Try changing your dog to a high quality lamb and rice dog food.

My dog had this problem until I figured out he could eat salmon and rice. He then ate that without any problem until he was 17 years old. Look for dog food allergy posts on this site.

Sounds like your dog is having a bag allergy attack. This web site maybe able to help you and your dog. www.allergicpet.com