AdviceDogs

Dog Won't Potty

I just got two dogs from the pound about 12 days ago. One is OK the other one was going to the restroom, but now it does not want to go. What can I give it? I don't have much money; I only get SSI.

By Randy

If you are sure it is not from some other kind of sickness, you can give your dog unflavored metamucil, on this dosage schedule:
Dosage for dogs from 15 to 50 pounds is a teaspoon in their food, and dogs over 50 pounds is one tablespoon in their food. It adds fiber to their diet.

Read more: How to Treat Constipation in Dogs Naturally | eHow.com http://www.ehow … ml#ixzz2GKUdklNI

My Chihuahua has similar problem. What I do is add one chopped hardboiled egg to his dinner once a week. One tsp. olive oil works great also.

Good luck!

Hi Randy!
Sorry to hear about your dog not wanting to go potty. Although it CAN be a issue that requires veterinary attention, it also can be canine mindset. I live with one cat and one dog and all was fine. When a second dog was added to my live, our cat did NOT want to go potty and ended up going potty on the bed and in other inappropriate places instead of in her litterbox. She continued to do this until she became adjusted to the fact that there was another dog in our household.

Long story short, I believe that is what may be happening in your situation as well. Right now, one dog might have adjusted well to the new home and environment but the other is still adjusting. As long as your dog IS going SOMEWHERE (even if its not where he is supposed to be going), it could mean that the dog is just going through an adjustment period. However, if your dog is NOT going to the bathroom AT ALL (for at least 24 hours), you need to see the Vet asap as it could mean something is wrong with him, kidneys or otherwise.

I recommend that when you take your dogs out to go potty, give a command (my dogs command is go potty -simple no? ) and when my new dog saw my old dog going potty and figured out what the command meant, the new dog started going regularly. Taking both dogs out will help teach the dog who is not going to the bathroom what is expected of him.

Also if you can, try to feel his bladder. If it is a small dog, try to raise him up just off the ground just below his belly area and see if you feel any sense of fullness in there indicating whether or not he has to go. Definitely encourage him to keep drinking though, as dogs can last longer without food than they can without water. Plus, when you see him go potty- praise him (clap your hands, pet him, talk affectionately, etc) to let him know he did a good job and letting him know its okay to do that again.

If you have any dog health questions, I recommend this online site that I found and is located on the pets portion of www.WebMD.com and can be found here ( http://pets.webmd.com/ ).

Good Luck
Katrina