Internet TipsComputers

Don't Post Your House Number on Social Media

I highly recommend to never post your home address (# portion) in photos anywhere on social media. Even though you are not displaying your complete address with just the # portion of your address, it would easily be researched online.

I saw my relatives post on Facebook displaying their beautiful flowers and newly remodeled landscape. With just the number portion, I showed them it is easy to find their home address with the power of the internet.

All you need is the # displayed in the picture and then type the city where they live. A handful of homes show up on your search and someone could easily narrow it down to which home is yours.

They now removed their photo and took new ones without the home number.
Editor's Note: The photo attached to this post is from a stock photography collection.

Good advice.

Thank you!

I am so glad some people are concerned about these things. Most are not. Google, Yahoo, Facebook and all the rest will not stop til they know all your private information.

They would have us believe they only want the information so as to better direct ads to you. We don't know that. Yahoo would have you believe they need your phone number to get a lost password to you. A blatant lie.

They've all been begging for your phone number for years. Google is not satisfied to track all your movements on the Internet, it wants your exact address and it wants you to give it to them.

I do believe Google already has most everyone's physical address. It would be no trouble for them to get it, that's for sure. I also think that presently, it would be illegal for Google to amass and use this info. So, they are really just asking your permission to use the info they already have.

It is so easy for this info to fall into the wrong hands. And it does.

The 18 biggest data breaches of the 21st century | CSO Online

Breaking Down Five 2018 Breaches -- And What They Mean For ...

Learn more about the latest data breaches - Fraud.org

The Biggest Ever Data Breaches | Security | Techworld

Over 700 million affected in latest massive data breach | Komando.com

Yes, I absolutely agree - it is really easy to look up anyone on the internet along with personal information.

However, sometimes the internet is not completely updated (or someone could have moved) with the power of Facebook, social media those who are not aware of their surroundings could easily find the person and be assured if they have photos and compare to verify.

I dont even put my correct town on the net. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

Smart

Very smart!!

Computers Internet TipsMarch 6, 2019
🎃
🍂