Driving Safety Tips

Category Travel
Being a rested and patient driver is very smart. This guide contains driving safety tips.

Most people hate to see people 'coast' through life and put a negative tag to such a thing. But when driving, I've found it to be an essential tool every driver needs to utilize.

Driving is my livelihood. So I take it very seriously. Coasting is what happens when a driver brings the driving foot off the accelerator and doesn't depress the brake and vehicle is still in motion. While the vehicle begins to decelerate, it allows a driver to look at his surroundings briefly and make a choice of his options rather than making a sudden jerky motion that we all know starts a domino effect of red lights and poor decisions.

In the cruise control mode, coasting is an option which allows the driver the same thing, but with use of the hands while cruising. Neat, right? That means the driver has to be an active driver "still" and use good distancing practices as well as common sense.

I've found that I read more of the road conditions, signs, and can sense other driver's actions better before I get to the immediate area.

It can't be stressed enough that full focus should be on the road and surroundings, know the law, know what signs mean, leave the phone alone, and yield to others.

Try coasting every now and again. By doing so you could save a life, gas, and your car.

Yesterday morning I heard news that a friend and beautician who cuts my hair had been killed in a car wreck. Normally I wouldn't post an article about something of this nature, but in spite of the tragedy and loss to her family, there is a valuable lesson for drivers which should be passed along.

She, her Mother, and 16 year old daughter were returning from a shopping trip. On a busy interstate, a cardboard box they were transporting in the back of their truck, blew out of the truck and onto the highway. Instinctively, she pulled into the emergency lane, and attempted to back up to retrieve it and was hit by an SUV. She and her Mother both died and the Daughter went through three surgeries in a day to try and keep a nearly severed arm.

The point I am making is: I have seen so many people attempt to back up on an interstate when they've missed an exit or for some other reason. Better to drive several miles out of your way than to be in a predicament such as this. Summer's finally here and there will be a lot of traveling. Please drive safely.

By Sharon from KY