Drying Beans

Category Drying
There are a few ways that you can easily dry your bean crop or farmer's market find at home. This is a guide about drying beans.

To vine dry beans (navy, kidney, butter, great northern, lima, lentils and soybeans) leave bean pods on the vine until the beans inside rattle. When the vines and pods are dry and shriveled, pick the beans and shell them. No pretreatment is necessary. If beans are still moist, the drying process is not complete and the beans will mold if not more thoroughly dried. If needed, drying can be completed in the sun, oven or a dehydrator. Pasteurization is needed for those beans dried entirely in the sun.

Source: MSU Extension

We have freshly shelled Ford-hooks and want to know how to dry them (as in dry beans that are sold in stores). Can someone help me? Thanks much!

By Kat H.

Answers

I do mine in a food dehydrator. But, you can also lay them flat to dry. Screens are good to dry them on, if you have fiberglass ones. Spread them out evenly and turn once a day.

It will take them several days to dry out, longer if it is humid. You can speed this process up somewhat by drying on cookie sheets in the oven, on the lowest setting, but you have to watch them very carefully to not burn them.

If its a hot day, you can dry them in the back of the car near the back windshield

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I needed a way to drain green beans and butter beans after picking and washing them. My husband made a frame and covered it with Hardware Cloth. After washing the beans, I pour them on the wire and spread them out to drain. I have found that the frame has other uses too. This morning, I washed pillows and the frame is perfect for drying them in the hot sun. The picture shows the bottom side of the frame. The top side has no edging which makes it easy to rake the beans off into a bucket after they are dry.

By littergitter from NC

Make A Draining And Drying Frame

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6