Dye Ran on Wool Scarf

I've got this 100% woolen scarf you can see in the picture. I'm sorry for the bad quality picture. My bf washed it in the washing machine while I was away. He used the hand washing program and with cold water 20C and the black got mixed with orange, not everywhere, but in some spots around the lining as you can see in the second picture I've uploaded. Also the colours all over the scarf lost their vibrancy from mixing with the black. So I took it to the dry cleaner and now it seems that it's mostly recovered everywhere. The colours are vibrant again, but the orange lining although it is better than before, it still has black spots. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I've heard about colour dyeing do you think that might work?

Try to get your hands on some Carbona Color Run Remover! It works for this.

Do you think it will make the black running dye go away instead of fading the whole area ? I didn't find a similar situation to mine in the reviews of the product

Rit has a dye remover

From some reviews I've read, I understand that this will make the color fade, and however this might work on white, I don't want black and orange to fade away.

A very simple online search for "how to fix dye transfer" produced many good replies. You can try a search yourself and this helpful site:

http://www.howt  ix-dye-transfer/

I always do an online search before posting a question. Way too simple and just not helpful. Most products are to be used on clothes of one colour or on clothes that have white which means you can use a product that will make the colour fade. The area with the problem in my scarf is black and orange. I don't want any of these colors to fade away

Seeing how much effort you are doing to find a good solution I know you must really like this scarf. The fabric being wool and 2 really vibrant colors really narrows the solutions as I am sure you have found already.

First - as you probably know already, if you are ever going to wash this scarf again - there is only one way to wash wool like this. Hand wash in cool water but always use very little soap and then only use a wool/cashmere soap/shampoo. There are many articles on the Internet describing how to wash wool safely.

Rewashing like this may even help with the color run and it will not hurt the scarf.

I have had some success with something like this (6 children and too may grands to count) by soaking the garment in a tub filled with cool water and white vinegar. Just use about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of vinegar and leave it to soak for several hours. Rinse without pulling (keep changing water) and gently roll in a towel or two. Air Dry and keep hope.

Color catchers work well in fresh laundry and may even work here. If you try one of these just use it the same as the vinegar and I do not believe it will hurt your scarf.

Sorry your scarf was damaged but it seems the thought behind it was one of love.

Good luck - but try to enjoy your scarf even if solutions fail.

Betty

Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.
Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMarch 20, 2017
Wool Sweater
Removing Stains From Wool Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Eggs in Colored Dye
Other Uses for Easter Egg Dye
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 21, 2017 at 11:06:24 PM on 10.0.2.164 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.