Eating Out of Teak Wood Bowls

Wooden bowls are used for serving certain types of foods, typically not liquids. This is a guide about eating out of teak wood bowls.

I want to use the teak wood bowls I bought at a frontier sale as soup bowls. Wood bowls are one of the types of excepted utensils for juried frontier reenactments. Are they safe to eat out of? Is there special care for wood teak bowls?

Answers

Best Answer

Wood and water don't mix. I would not use it for soup. I use my wood bowl for chopping foods, especially meat. I wash it with soapy water and condition it and my wood cutting board with food-grade mineral oil.

Best Answer

If wooden bowls have been cleaned and seasoned properly then you should be able to serve any type of food.

The biggest danger to wooden bowls is leaving any type of liquid in them for very long. This may be a problem with soup - unless the soup is served, finished and bowls cleaned in a short period of time.

Here is a site that gives a lot of information about how to clean and care for wooden bowls:

http://www.newh … g-your-wood-bowl

ARe they treated? If they are treated, you would not want to eat out them. We have some walnut salad bowls. I don't let them soak in water, but wash quickly and then I dry them well. Once in awhile I will lightly oil them with coconut oil.

I'm not sure that it could ever be a good idea to eat liquids like soup out of a wooden bowl, especially if they have been treated. But things like salad would probably be ok