Egg Carton Gardening

Category Seeds
The cavities in egg crates are just the right size for starting many types of seeds. An added advantage to the paper style is that it can be cut apart and the seedling planted in the soil container and all. This is a guide about egg carton gardening.

Egg cartons are a great biodegradable way to do seed-start gardening. Simply cut off the sides and lid from your carton.

Place the cut lid under the carton base to catch leaking water.

Fill the holes three-quarters full with potting soil. Place your seeds in the soil then cover them with a thin layer of the potting soil. Mist as needed to germinate. If you're using a different type of egg container, such as plastic, which doesn't drain, just punch a tiny hole in the bottom of each egg bed.

I will try this! My problem with seed plants is timing - when to put them into the soil. Usually bugs eat the tender seedlings when this small, as started in an egg carton.

and if I allow the plant to get bigger, then there is no room for roots in such a tiny egg carton. But yes, I like the idea and have tried it before.

Great idea for planting "spares," just in case the first plantings don't come up healthy and strong. My grandma would say, plant one for the birds, one for the weather, and one for yourself.