Eggplant Layered Rice
This rice dish has layers of eggplant, ground meat and fragrant spices. It's super hearty and is great for an all-in-one meal. You can use any meat you like. I used ground beef.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 eggplant
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb ground meat
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp allspice
- Drain soaked rice and place in boiling water. Cook until it's just al dente and set aside. You will finish cooking it later on with the other ingredients.
- Heat up a tablespoon of oil in a pan and cook eggplant pieces until browned all over. Set aside.
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil to the pan over medium-high heat. Brown onions, then add ground meat and tomato paste.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, and 1 teaspoon of allspice.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Place 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of a pot. Place half the al dente rice inside, then spread half of the meat sauce on top. Lay the eggplant over the sauce.
- Pour in the rest of the rice, then the remainder of the sauce. Sprinkle on the other teaspoon of cinnamon powder on top. Place lid on and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, until you see it steaming. Now, reduce heat to low and place a paper towel under the lid. This will prevent mushiness. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately. I love this with mango chutney and fresh mint leaves.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!