Eggplant Moussaka Recipe

Category Casseroles
Moussaka is a traditional dish in Greece and Turkey. There are many variations of this delicious eggplant dish. This is a guide about eggplant moussaka.

This recipe was originally written to make 2 servings and is referred to in the Sunset cookbook as Miniature Moussaka. It is a variation on the more traditional recipes from Greece or Turkey. I have tripled it to share and freeze the leftovers.

I will include the original ingredient measurements in parentheses in the list for anyone wishing to make the smaller version.

I love fried eggplant and this gave me an alternative way to cook the delicious ones I recently got at the farmer's market in Portland, Oregon.

Prep Time: 45 minutes, includes baking of eggplant and preparing and cooking sauce

Cook Time: 20 minutes, casserole baking time

Total Time: 1 hour +

Yield: 12 - 16 servings

Source: Sunset Cooking for Two ... of Just for You - Copyright 1978

• 3 small eggplant (1 small eggplant, .75 - 1 lb.)
  • 9+ Tbsp olive oil (approximately 3 Tbsp.), another oil may be substituted
  • 1.5 lb ground beef or lamb (.5 lb.) - I used ground beef, mainly because the market did not have any ground lamb. Beef is also a more economical option.
  • 1.5 cup chopped onion (.5 cups)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed (1 clove)
  • 3 14.5 oz cans of petit cut stewed tomatoes (1 8 oz. can)
  • 8 fresh mushrooms, sliced (1 can 2 oz. mushroom stems and pieces) I chose to use fresh because I prefer them to canned. The extra stewed tomatoes helped compensate for the missing mushroom liquid.
  • .5 cups catsup on the overfull side (.25 cups catsup) I did not triple this as I had used the extra tomatoes.
  • 2.5 tsp dried parsley (2 tablespoons minced parsley)
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon (.25 tsp. cinnamon)
  • 1.5 tsp oregano (.25 tsp. oregano)
  • 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (1 cup about 4 oz.)
  • 4 - 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (2 Tbsp.)

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
  2. Rinse off your eggplant and pat dry. Cut off the stem and flower end (if desired).
  3. Cut eggplant into .5 inch slices.
  4. Brush both sides, liberally with olive oil.
  5. Ad

6. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet or glass baking dish.
  7. Bake at 475 degrees F for 30 minutes, turning as needed, until well browned on both sides. Set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
  8. Ad

9. Chop your onion and garlic. Rinse and then slice the mushrooms.
  10. In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef. I sprayed the pan with cooking spray as I use lower fat ground beef.
  11. Ad

12. Add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
  13. Add the tomatoes, I rinsed the cans and added about .25 cups water as a result. If you use regular stewed tomatoes, break them up with a spoon.
  14. Ad

15. Add the mushrooms, catsup, oregano, cinnamon, and the parsley. Stir.
  16. Cook, uncovered over medium heat until the sauce is thickened, about 10 - 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
  17. Arrange a layer of eggplant in the bottom of your baking dish.
  18. Spoon about half of the meat sauce over the slices.
  19. Sprinkle on half of the Jack cheese.
  20. Add the rest of the eggplant slices and sauce, again topping with the remaining cheese.
  21. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top and place in a 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the sauce is bubbly.
  22. Serve and enjoy.