Easy Moussaka Recipe
This Greek or Middle Eastern eggplant dish is popular in many parts of the world. This version is easy to make at home and is sure to be loved by your family.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This Greek dish is made with eggplant, and is really delicious.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Source: More with Less Cookbook
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash nutmeg
- 2 cups tomato sauce or pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley (I left this out)
- 1 Tbsp chopped mint
- 1/2 to 1 cup of grated cheese (I used Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to broil. Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch slices.
- Put the slices in the broiling pan, brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil 5 minutes, then turn over and repeat with the oil and seasonings.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees F. While the eggplant is broiling, saute the ground beef, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, parsley and mint.
- In a 9x9 inch baking dish, layer 1/2 of the eggplant and 1/2 the meat mixture. Repeat the layering with the remaining eggplant and meat mixture.
- Top with cheese. Bake for 40 minutes.