This Greek dish is made with eggplant, and is really delicious.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Source: More with Less Cookbook
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash nutmeg
- 2 cups tomato sauce or pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley (I left this out)
- 1 Tbsp chopped mint
- 1/2 to 1 cup of grated cheese (I used Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to broil. Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch slices.
- Put the slices in the broiling pan, brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil 5 minutes, then turn over and repeat with the oil and seasonings.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees F. While the eggplant is broiling, saute the ground beef, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, parsley and mint.
- In a 9x9 inch baking dish, layer 1/2 of the eggplant and 1/2 the meat mixture. Repeat the layering with the remaining eggplant and meat mixture.
- Top with cheese. Bake for 40 minutes.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!