Healthy Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
Here is a new use for eggplant in this meatless main dish. This guide contains a healthy stuffed eggplant recipe
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a great recipe, whether you have a garden or not. It's restaurant quality, and wonderful as a meatless meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
Source: Shared on Facebook
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup white onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano, chopped (I used dried to my taste)
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 2 cups tomato sauce (canned or homemade)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, washed and sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the eggplant in half. Place each half face-down on a foil-lined baking pan. Rub 1 Tbsp. of the oil over the eggplant. Bake 25 minutes, or until tender.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, scoop out the insides and reserve. Leave about 1/2 inch of eggplant inside each half.
- Heat the other Tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the mushrooms and onions until softened, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Add the reserved eggplant that you scooped out.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stuff the eggplant halves with the sauce mixture.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let sit about 5 minutes before serving.
In This Guide