General AdviceLegal

Emotional Support Animals and "No Pet" Apartments

Has anyone had an emotional support animal (ESA) and lived in an apartment with a no-pet policy? I know the laws for this, but am curious how anyone moved into a new apartment with one or any processes to get the doctor's note.

I'm depressed and have anxiety and PSTD issues; my pets help me. I'm moving from a foreclosure into an apartment. The only apartments I can afford are low-income based, with "no pets allowed" policies. I'm so nervous (anxiety) about this whole situation.

By Mea M. from Sturgis, MI

This is a tricky issue because of how landlords who just don't want pets find "legal" ways around it. They're not usually obvious so it's very hard to prove. I have the same problem as you. I have four therapy dogs. One for each of my two foster kids with emotional needs, one for mine and a puppy in training because my son's dog is very elderly and will soon need to have a fill in. I have found that when you're honest and up front and even though you're protected by law, all of a sudden the place is rented to someone else or you're credit wasn't good enough, etc. The only way I think I can get in a new place in the future in not tell about the dogs till after I'm in and see what happens, making sure I have all my documentation in order. Anyone else with better idea's??? By the way... I think low income housing is federally funded and you are protected by the American Disabilities Act and the ACLU which protects your Civil Rights...some of that is federal too! The housing funded by federal money will lose it if they don't abide by the American Disability Act, ACLU and other rights so really that's a good place for you to seek housing!