Fabric Choices for a Heat Therapy Pillow

I've made these for years. Kids love them. I keep one in the freezer and one at room temperature. The cold ones are great for minor injuries. I use flannel fabric so it won't melt. Also you can use cracked corn as a filler. You can find it at feed stores. Can you use a different fabric?

By jilled

I mistakenly hit 33 minutes instead of 3 minutes in the microwave. It didn't catch fire, but, smelled BAD. I agree, to not use rayon nor any synthetic fabric. I have bought tube socks, filled one of the pair with rice about 2/3s full and sew it closed.

The other sock can be used as a removable cover for laundering. I turn the second sock wrong side out, I snip the toe on the right and left side just 5" elastic inside leaving ends poking out of each slit and sew them down. Turn the sock.

On the other end of the 'cover' sock, sew another length of elastic to each side as you did the other end. Slide the empty sock over the rice filled sock.

I have also cut a plastic (saved from bacon package insert) stencil with words "Hot Sock" and mixed fabric medium with red acrylic paint and applied the words to the outer sock! These sold for $12. Assembly line is the best way to handle many which I do several at a time for gifts. Important: The elastic helps hold it in place around your head for a headache or around a knee.