Family of 5 Needs Help After House Fire?

How can we get help after a house fire that took our place to live, clothes, and a lot of personal items? My main problem is housing and my childrens' items. If you know of someone that can help please let me know. I have contacted our local Red Cross and Salvation Army and they were not much help.


By jenny_smi from Richmond, IN

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

November 27, 20130 found this helpful

The organizations you mentioned only do temporary help. Like putting you in a motel for a limited amount of time. It depends on the kid of help you expected. From the Red Cross you should have received vouchers for clothing for you and the kids to take to the store of your choice in order to get a certain number of outfits for each member of the family.

I used to be a receptionist in a Red Cross Office and I can't remember how many outfits each family member can get. I don't know if the Salvation Army puts people up in motels or not, but what they do is if it is a huge fire they usually set up to serve the fire fighters coffee, etc., if they will be out for really extended periods of time.


When you find a house/apartment you can go to the Salvation Army Office and receive vouchers to take to their thrift store for whatever furniture that you need and you can get it free if they have the items that you need. You won't be able to get anything in the line of electronic stuff this way, just the basic necessities. You can also get vouchers for free clothing for each member of the family too, that you can pick out at their thrift store.

I don't know of any charity that provides free housing, other than a few days in a motel until a person can find housing. Also, when you find housing, you can go to the Red Cross and receive vouchers to go to a store and buy one set of bedding for each bed, and a set of towels for each family member. These organizations do provide good help, only not the kind that it sounds like you expected.


Talk to your pastor, he/she might know of some affordable housing. Did you have homeowners/renters insurance? If so they should take care of personal property, clothes, etc. Renter's insurance will only provide for personal property and pay the landlord if the fire was your fault, it won't pay for a place for you to live. Homeowner's insurance will rebuild/repair your house.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Better Living Charity AdviceNovember 26, 2013
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2021-11-30 18:15:38 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.